Razorock Gamechanger .84

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and just wanted to say hi and ask opinions.

I've been wet shaving for about 5 years using a Muhle R89. It broke a while ago and I'm looking for a new razor. I bought the Qshave Futur clone on a whim (It's actually ok) but I looking for a replacement for my Muhle. I was going to buy a Merkur 34C but I want something that's not classed as an entry level shaver. I know the 34C is quite rightly highly rated but I want something better but don't want to spend a small fortune.

What do you guys think of the Gamechanger .84?
What else would you guys suggest?

Thanks
Zaf

I am sure that you will get lots of people suggesting a Rockwell 6C, a great razor with six alternative plates to help set the level of aggression. Personally I shave on plate 4 most of the time. Not a beginners razor but one which allows progression.

If you feel the need to spend more, the 6S is considered to be almost identical in Stainless Steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...I have the R89 and RRGG .68 and .84. All are excellent. The .84 for the money is real value and a solid, shaver - smooth, efficient, nimble, low profile head, all SS and the Radio Knob handle is really ergonomic. Blade feel is a more muted than say the Rocca. An excellent buy for me...

...I have the R89 and RRGG .68 and .84. All are excellent. The .84 for the money is real value and a solid, shaver - smooth, efficient, nimble, low profile head, all SS and the Radio Knob handle is really ergonomic. Blade feel is a more muted than say the Rocca. An excellent buy for me...
Have to agree. A very comfortable, but efficient daily driver

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Rockwell 6C is zamak, and the thread can go on the handle - happened to mine. So though it's a good razor I'd look elsewhere. The 6S is a heavy razor at 113g and that would exclude it for me.

I'd be looking at brass or SS. I've personally gone open comb and really like the OC razors. One very nice razor would be the Gillette Old Type single ring, pre-1921. Brass, of course, and will keep its value. Any Old Type would be good - the 1921-29 ones had a sightly thicker top cap and there were plenty made. Which brings us to the Gillette clone - Fatip. Same basic design and also made of brass and a wonderful shaver with many fans. Cheap for a brass razor. I have the Grande and the Retro and prefer the Retro. The Piccolo is popular.

The Fatips have a different thread - M4.5, so not the same as the usual M5 handles. M5 handles will fit on all the old Gillettes which are 10-32 thread. If you have both you can swap the top caps and try out some nice new M5 handles. Once you start investing in these open comb two-stud razors you can get quite hooked. Performance is as good as you need - close shaves guaranteed with minimum irritation. There are even gold ones if you want to be fancy. Pic shows my Old Type with a Yintal brass handle I got off AliExpress for $14. Very grippy.

Old Type Mine.jpg

I was going to buy a Merkur 34C but I want something that's not classed as an entry level shaver.

This I don't understand, the reason that the EJ 89 and the Merkur 34 so often get recommended to newbies is because they work well for the majority of people. It's not because they're somehow lesser razors, it's because you're likely to get good results with one.

If the EJ 89 was available in stainless steel it'd be my ideal razor.

This I don't understand, the reason that the EJ 89 and the Merkur 34 so often get recommended to newbies is because they work well for the majority of people. It's not because they're somehow lesser razors, it's because you're likely to get good results with one.

If the EJ 89 was available in stainless steel it'd be my ideal razor.

This shows my inexperience with safety razors. I was originally going to buy a M 34C but everywhere was sold out so I bought the Muhle R89 and that's what I have used for 5 odd years. I never needed anything else. I know that the M 34C is a great razor but is there anything out there that is considered a much better razor without breaking the bank.
The EJ 89 and Muhle R89 heads look identical to me.

This shows my inexperience with safety razors. I was originally going to buy a M 34C but everywhere was sold out so I bought the Muhle R89 and that's what I have used for 5 odd years. I never needed anything else. I know that the M 34C is a great razor but is there anything out there that is considered a much better razor without breaking the bank.
The EJ 89 and Muhle R89 heads look identical to me.
Vintage Gillette slim.

Hi guys,

I thought I'd update you all.
I bought a couple of really cheap QShave DE razors from Ali Express. The tech type razor gave me a really good shave with a Shark blade. Not bad for a £4 outlay. I also bought a butterfly opening razor which I haven't used yet.

So two days ago, I bought a Merkur 34C. Couldn't resist especially at £23 and free shipping. Looking forward to using it.

Zaf

Back
Top Bottom