Razor rotation

Rik

Since the start of the year I've gotten into the habit of rotating my razors. I now try to use one razor for a month to really get the feel of it. I've found that this has the benefit of (a) making me use all of the razors I've bought (b) improving my technique.

I found that after about 6 months of DE shaving I started slipping back into some old habits as I thought about it less and just shaved.

With the rotation of the razors I find that I take time to re-learn using each of them - angle, pressure, stroke length and so on. I'm getting some great shaves now - recently I was going to get rid of a Gillette New but after Hando gave it a test drive I thought I'd give it another chance.

This time around it's working really well for me.

Give the rotation a go; what's the worst that can happen?

Rik.

i do this myself but not with any sort of proper regime.

i kind of pick one that takes my fancy and stick with it for a while, 1-2 weeks at most.

Rik is right when he says that you have to concentrate on your technique when you change to a new/old razor and it quickly reminds you when you get sloppy.

i'm using one of my Injectors just now but feel a Fatboy coming on soon :eek:

I agree and I also think it is just nice to have a change. Previously I did about a month at a time, in fact my first razor (HD) was my only razor for a year. However as I picked more up I find I change it every Saturday, seems easy to remember that way.

I do kow what you mean though, sometime I pick a razor I havent used in a while and forget about it's quirks. Rotation stops me getting sloppy and I do look forward to the start of every shave week.

What day is the start of your shave week/month?

Perhaps we should do a poll...

I normally swap on or around the first of the month; blade change notwithstanding. I'm not obsessive about it; well not very much. :)

I used to rotate the razor every 3 days when I changed the blade but I wasn't really giving each one a proper run out.

Rotation, what rotation :eek:

Since I don't have a huge stash of razors/blades I'm now familiar with how they work together so I tend to just pick them at random depending on my mood. As others have said, though, you can give yourself some nicks if you happen to pick up a razor you haven't used in a while and have forgotten its particular traits :!:

For years I only used one razor on a regular basis, with another stashed in my wash bag for travelling purposes. Recently however I've been using three, just grabbing whichever one takes my fancy really. As they're all old Gillettes , they behave pretty similarly.

Back
Top Bottom