Razor Rash help

I've been DE shaving for years but suddenly have a red rash on one side of my neck.
not bumpy just red rash like razor burn
same razor, blades,soap as before
what am I doing wrong ?
and any suggestions as to how to stop it much appreciated
advice on any healing cream also appreciated
thanks in advance
ed

Reaction to the soap maybe ? , sometimes especially if you use the same product for a long time you can become sensitised to it. I used the same deodorant for years and then all of a sudden became sensitised to an ingredient they use in many active deodorants.

I've been DE shaving for years but suddenly have a red rash on one side of my neck.
what am I doing wrong ?
thanks in advance
ed

I get this as well occasionally - I have fairly sensitive skin and shave every other day.

As Dave the Rave says, aloe vera gel is very good. I have tried loads of ASBs (including "designer" ones given to me as gifts and which are then binned because they are too greasy) and the one I would recommend is Korres Marigold & Ginseng:

It's water based with aloe vera and can be applied directly onto the rash without stinging. Excellent at calming redness and doesn't leave your face greasy like many of the others. Unscented (or very mild fragrance).

Give it a go, you'll be converted.

what am I doing wrong ?
thanks in advance
ed
It may have been a coincidence, but any shaving rash that I used to get disappeared when I started cold water shaving. Cold wash, cold brush and lather and cold water rinses between passes. Rinsing the razor under a cold tap too. I say coincidence, because maybe my technique suddenly improved at the same time. But, for what it's worth, I regularly cold shave. Worth a try...

It may have been a coincidence, but any shaving rash that I used to get disappeared when I started cold water shaving. Cold wash, cold brush and lather and cold water rinses between passes. Rinsing the razor under a cold tap too. I say coincidence, because maybe my technique suddenly improved at the same time. But, for what it's worth, I regularly cold shave. Worth a try...
Ah, this is a very valid point.

The common idea of perfect prep i.e. soap, hot shower, warm towels etc dries my skin and leads to a rash. Even before DE shaving I'd always just dampen the skin, these days I use cold water. The less prep the better for me, I slap proraso preshave cream on sometimes but I'm not convinced it really does much other than smells nice.

Prep is EVERYTHING. You can't drive a Ferrari fast on a gravel road. The best soap, razor, blade & technique cannot conquer bad prep. Sorry, there just is not another way unless you go electric.

Rash, if not caused by a reaction (and I don't think yours is as it's specifically located) is either from bad prep, improper technique (including too many passes or going ATG where you shouldn't) or the nemesis of many neophytes, buying a razor far more "aggressive" than they need.

Ah, this is a very valid point.

The common idea of perfect prep i.e. soap, hot shower, warm towels etc dries my skin and leads to a rash. Even before DE shaving I'd always just dampen the skin, these days I use cold water. The less prep the better for me, I slap proraso preshave cream on sometimes but I'm not convinced it really does much other than smells nice.
I think sometimes there's a tendency to almost ‘overprep' and ‘overfinish'. Some guys I know who start out get seduced by pre-shave oil, balms, creams. Then they try hot towels, hot water, lather, hot rinses, then balms, creams, after shave and so on. Then they wonder why their skin kicks up a shitstorm. Less is more, I think.

I think sometimes there's a tendency to almost ‘overprep' and ‘overfinish'. Some guys I know who start out get seduced by pre-shave oil, balms, creams. Then they try hot towels, hot water, lather, hot rinses, then balms, creams, after shave and so on. Then they wonder why their skin kicks up a shitstorm. Less is more, I think.

Yes & brush "burn" can be damned unpleasant.

Back
Top Bottom