Razor oil

As my collection of straights is growing I'm finding some of them are not really in rotation much now.
should I be oiling them up? and if so, what are you guys using? I think I've seen somewhere to use Vaseline?

When i first started out with straights i bought some specific razor oil from The Invisible Edge, and a couple of razors that i have that are not in regular rotation are coated with it and it does a good job, no rust spots or anything like that, and a little goes a very long way. Would i buy more though? No, i think you could use pretty much any oil, i'd probably just use whatever was at hand in the future, and i suspect that Vaseline would work as well, it would be slightly harder to get into the pivot though, oil just sort of naturally migrates there with a little assistance from gravity.

You can get a liquid paraffin from the pharmacy. I use ballistol for the ones in the shave rotation and Vaseline for deep storage. I also wrap them in wax paper or VCI paper. You can order the VCI paper online or ask your auto mechanic. They wrap car parts in it to prevent corrosion for long time storage.

Back
Top Bottom