Razor Head?

CjH

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any advice/solutions.

So I've had this razor for about a year.... Its based on the 'de89'
I thought at first that it was my technique but I always knew that the head was slightly off kilter. I had contacted the store but they said that all heads have a margin of error. As I was relatively new to DE razors I didn't argue the point.

But now I can tell that there is definitely an issue. One side seems to shave OK. But the other side seems much more aggressive and the sound is a lot more audible.

It may not be as noticeable on the pictures but the left hand side of the head is definitely lower than the right side... If I even it up then the other side is wonky.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's a lovely handle so would love to get it shaving properly.
IMG_26092019_123252_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpgIMG_26092019_123217_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpgIMG_26092019_123138_(1000_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Did you get it off Ebay? I bought a razor from Ebay which doesn't look a million miles from yours, a bit wonky.

I've retired mine but kept the handle, which is quite nice nonetheless.

Did you get it off Ebay? I bought a razor from Ebay which doesn't look a million miles from yours, a bit wonky.

I've retired mine but kept the handle, which is quite nice nonetheless.
No I got it from a shaving company....
I guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled for another head...

...but they said that all heads have a margin of error...

OsWxD2b.jpg

That top cap (in the first photo) doesn't look right.
Seems to drop away from the comb at the top left (and a wee bit on the bottom right too).
Don't think it's because the cap is not put on straight as the cap seems to line up further over.
Have you tried a 'straight edge' across the line of the cap, as it seems somewhat 'curved'.
Yes, get a new cap or razor.
What can we enable you with? New Karve, or Wolfman would be good.
Maybe vintage? Gillette NEW SC would be great.
Forum members love 'helping' other members spend their money.
To enable is such a good thing!

Other than contacting the store and trying to get them to replace it there's nothing you can do with the head, although you might be out of luck after a year. I'm shocked that they claimed that they all had a margin of error, in a razor head where precision matters that's not acceptable.

Without meaning to sound off, that does not look like it was expensive. If you like the handle keep it, accept that the head's a write-off, and buy a replacement razor. You can get an actual EJ 89 for about £30, it'll be much better finished and it'll be straight.

Other than contacting the store and trying to get them to replace it there's nothing you can do with the head, although you might be out of luck after a year. I'm shocked that they claimed that they all had a margin of error, in a razor head where precision matters that's not acceptable.

Without meaning to sound off, that does not look like it was expensive. If you like the handle keep it, accept that the head's a write-off, and buy a replacement razor. You can get an actual EJ 89 for about £30, it'll be much better finished and it'll be straight.
Well, no, it wasn't expensive it was only £10 but was reduced from £30 due to some "slight imperfections" on the handle.
I know I can just get a new head but wondered if anyone had ever managed to rectify a similar problem.

Well, no, it wasn't expensive it was only £10 but was reduced from £30 due to some "slight imperfections" on the handle.
I know I can just get a new head but wondered if anyone had ever managed to rectify a similar problem.

You can't rectify it. The head's almost certainly made of plated zamak, anything that compromises the plating will lead to zamak rot when it gets wet and ultimate structural failure. If it was made of steel or brass it may be theoretically possible to grind the edge of the cap down until it was straight but then you'd need to do the other side too to get the aggression the same on both sides and given that it looks like you'd need to remove quite a lot of material you'd end up with it quite a lot more aggressive, possibly to the point of not being usable.

Out of interest, where's it from?

It strikes me that razor head isn't fit for purpose, regardless of what it cost or how long you've had it. Point this out to the vendor, and if they still won't replace it then at least name them on here, since it would hardly be worth doing anything else over such a low cost item. The negative publicity might cost them a few £s.

It may not be as noticeable on the pictures but the left hand side of the head is definitely lower than the right side... If I even it up then the other side is wonky.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Looks like a poor clone of the DE89 so I would suggest getting the EJ DE89. Also consider the Fatip Gentile which is an all brass head or even one of the Fatip open combs. Unfortunately that handle thread (M5x0.8) is not compatible with the Fatip cap thread (M4.5x0.7).

Back
Top Bottom