Razor Bumps/Ingrown Hairs

Hi all, I switched to DE Shaving over the past 6mths. I was having great shaves before but would rather shave with a safety razor. Since switching I have actually gotten poor results compared to my simple Gillette disposable (2 blade) razors. I watched countless vids, use super light pressure tried numerous blades, shave with the grain etc etc but with only some very small notable improvements. So I thought I had some skin infection and didn't shave for a few days until it cleared and then went back to my Gillette disposable razors just as a test and 2 weeks in shaving my skin is back to perfect. And I must add I went at it aggressively with the disposable razor after a week just to see if I could get away with it and was shocked no bumps (Very frustrating and puzzling)
I really don't want to use the disposables but I know I can always go back to them if needed, my question is how do I prevent the ingrown/razor bump with a de razor if I was doing the things to the T that you are supposed to be doing and still getting poor results? Obviously I am missing something, or is it a case that DE shaving isn't for everyone? I know it virtually impossible to explain in text but I tried my best to give you an idea of what is going on.
Any questions, advice greatly appreciated.
My set up is a merkur 34c, proraso sensitive, and astra blades.

Hi @Roxy15 and welcome to TSR. I had similar issues when I first started but my skin eventually got used to the new shaving method and my technique improved exponentially. Your technique with your disposable is probably better at this time hence the improvement. Ultimately you've got to do what works for you. If you do wish to pursue shaving with a DE, perseverance will be key.

Thanks Boycie, as you say it has to be down to technique as I have ruled everything else out ie.shave cream, moisturiser etc when I went back to the disposables I kept everything else the same. Only thing is as I say I went across the grain used alot of pressure etc etc just to see what I could get away with and no bumps or irritation. Only thing I can think of is differently when I de shave is I go really slow with super light pressure, is there such a thing as too slow?? Also I found last night that after using the disposable I tried a pass after with my de razor and ran a 3rd pass WG and found that I was picking up some slight stubble but only when I changed the attack of the razor, could I be using too much angle and getting ingrown hairs that way?
Many thanks for any help.

Are you using cold water for your shave? From my understanding cold water causes the blood vessels to constrict, in order to preserve body core temperature, and as a consequence your skin tightens and your hair becomes more errect. This allows shavers, who enjoy a cold splash, to gain a closer shave, however, if the hair is cut tight to the skin then when the skin warms and relaxes the tip of of the hair disappears below the skin leading to ingrown hairs.

Otherwise if it's not an allergic reaction, it could be a mild fungal or bacterial infection cleaning the face and using shave soap can remove the skins natural protective layer allowing the above an easier time to penetrate the hair follicles, incidentally this is why using alum as an astringent can help.

Thus you can try riding the cap, I believe it's called, this should result in a less close shave, but one that still looks clean, and help to avoid ingrown hairs.

You can also try to ensure your brush, razor and blade is super clean at the start of each shave and you can try alum as part of your post shave routine

I shave after the shower with warm water. Its definitely not an infection as when I went back to disposable razors it disappeared within a week and hasn't came back in 2 weeks, and skin is totally clear, I also tried alum for the past 6mths. Also as you say I have tried using a very shallow shave angle and only did one pass, with the same results all be it not quite as bad.

Hi @Roxy15 and welcome to TSR. I had similar issues when I first started but my skin eventually got used to the new shaving method and my technique improved exponentially. Your technique with your disposable is probably better at this time hence the improvement. Ultimately you've got to do what works for you. If you do wish to pursue shaving with a DE, perseverance will be key.
There is a sweet spot for angles and each razor is different. Your 34C has enough weight in it that you won't need to apply any additional pressure. Cartridge/disposable razors are much more forgiving with pressure. We can bombard you with advice but it can become a bit overwhelming as we all have our own techniques that work for us personally.

Don't overthink your shave to much and try to enjoy the ritual. Don't apply any pressure beyond the weight of the razor (I think we can all agree on that) and accept that it will take a few shaves before you notice an improvement in both the quality of finish and your skin.

It may also be worth your while contacting @Mbarn and getting on the list for the newbie pass around. You can work on your technique whilst you're waiting then test a couple of different items to see if these can improve the shave in anyway if you're still struggling. Another thing we can all probably agree on is the two key facets of a great shave: technique and preparation.

There is a sweet spot for angles and each razor is different. Your 34C has enough weight in it that you won't need to apply any additional pressure. Cartridge/disposable razors are much more forgiving with pressure. We can bombard you with advice but it can become a bit overwhelming as we all have our own techniques that work for us personally.

Don't overthink your shave to much and try to enjoy the ritual. Don't apply any pressure beyond the weight of the razor (I think we can all agree on that) and accept that it will take a few shaves before you notice an improvement in both the quality of finish and your skin.

It may also be worth your while contacting @Mbarn and getting on the list for the newbie pass around. You can work on your technique whilst you're waiting then test a couple of different items to see if these can improve the shave in anyway if you're still struggling. Another thing we can all probably agree on is the two key facets of a great shave: technique and preparation.
Sorry @Roxy15 I meant to quote your question in that. I'm not on top form this morning!!

I reckon its just your skin getting used to something different. We're men, you should persevere. Keep on going as normal with the DE and see where its at in a couple of months.

I suffer terribly from spots, shaving irritation etc and DE appears to be helping me, but it was a shock to the face at first. However I seem to find its moreso pores becoming clogged that causes bumps on my face, so I am washing twice a day and using a face scrub a few times a week'. Trying to shave at least every 2 days as well to keep the hair off my face as well.

Stick at it, the face is SUPER delicate and reacts to just about anything new. Give it time. Failing that, change blades to something else. Some are way smoother than others.

I have been de shaving for just over 6mths, would it take that long for your skin to get used to it? Thats the thing Tom I had perfect skin when using disposable razors and its only gotten bad since using the de razor. So I switched back to the disposable razors to see if it was the de shaving and not an infection or something else and within a week my skin cleared up completely again, so its done to the de shaving. It must be a technique problem but I cant see where I am going wrong as I use super light pressure, shave with the grain etc etc. I have used numerous blade sample packs and find that the Astra blades work best for me.
I guess its practice practice practice.

Have you considered adding an additional product to your pre shave routine? such as an oil, balm etc? Possibly giving some extra glide. I'm very new to this myself but there's no doubt DE needs more thorough preparation in comparison to cartridges.

Also how many soaps/creams have your tried? I used Proraso Red to begin with and found that it didn't always give me the cushion/glide that I required for a great shave. I switched to Arko and got instantly more comfortable shaves. I'm not blaming the proraso as I'm still developing my technique but a really good performer like arko I've found more forgiving. Just because your existing prep and set up works on cartridges doesn't necessarily mean it's enough for your skin on DE.

Regards; Shaving with a blade is always a rash. An aggression for the skin.

The best is always the best hydration; before, during and after shaving.

I recommend before putting the foam on the face, be generous with a mixture of oil (90% sunflower + 10% olive).

A good razor in your case would be a SCHICK KRONA and use only passes in favor of North-South hair and side passes. Always apply 20 drops of oil before applying the shaving foam between each pass.

You already tell us.

Have you considered adding an additional product to your pre shave routine? such as an oil, balm etc? Possibly giving some extra glide. I'm very new to this myself but there's no doubt DE needs more thorough preparation in comparison to cartridges.

Also how many soaps/creams have your tried? I used Proraso Red to begin with and found that it didn't always give me the cushion/glide that I required for a great shave. I switched to Arko and got instantly more comfortable shaves. I'm not blaming the proraso as I'm still developing my technique but a really good performer like arko I've found more forgiving. Just because your existing prep and set up works on cartridges doesn't necessarily mean it's enough for your skin on DE.
I tried the Proasso sensitive pre shave and it didn't make any difference, if anything it was very drying on the skin. I haven't tried an oil type product, which could be a good shout indeed.

9 months on and if anything my skin is getting worse. I have stuck with it and my technique is a lot better than it was almost a year ago and tried countless blades etc, but I cannot get rid of this problem. My skin wouldn't have been anywhere as bad with a 2 blade disposable.
Light pressure with the grain 1 pass is how I have been shaving the last few weeks and its not making any improvement. I have at least 2 fresh bumps the day after a shave.
I will give it to the end of the year and if it doesn't improve I will give up on it, don't want to but I have read and watched all the info/advice etc and followed it for months to no avail.
I must not be shaving too close as I use alum after every shave and have no stinging/burning sensation from it, which leads me to believe it's not my technique or shaving to close to cause the ingrown hair. I am lost now to be honest lol
Merkur 34c
Persona Blade
Taylor Of Old Bond Sensitive

Attachments

• tempImageG0cf65.png
    tempImageG0cf65.png
    562.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Faced with this, I'd do the following ...

I'm making the assumption that your face is generally okay, it's just under the chin and down your neck that is problematic?

Okay, so shave as you have been doing. Wash off really well after shaving with just hot water. Splash on cold water. Now, alum to get the surface and upper epidermis very dried out. If the aftershave balm is not causing issues on your face, carry on with that ... but, don't apply to your neck. Instead, get yourself a bottle of TendSkin in and apply a splash of that to your neck. You can buy a roller for this which might help you apply more directly and repeated applications between shaves. TendSkin is concentrated salycylic acid and will get right into the skin to deal with this sort of issue.

I hope that clears it up ...

Above, I said that if the balm is not causing you issues on your face to carry on. If it is actually irritable on your face, you could always ditch that and try something else. When I get irritable skin (usually through sticky summer months), I like to use Prep Creme. My method there is to shave, wash well with just hot water, splash on cold and then while wet apply a dot of Prep Creme and rub all over face. Pat dry. It's cooling and slightly anaesthetic, relaxing too, and you can see from the packaging that it's advised for all manner of skin complaints.

So, consider ...

https://www.tendskin.com/ < you'll find this on eBay/Amazon
https://prepskincare.co.uk/ < buying direct is actually the cheapest

Faced with this, I'd do the following ...

I'm making the assumption that your face is generally okay, it's just under the chin and down your neck that is problematic?

Okay, so shave as you have been doing. Wash off really well after shaving with just hot water. Splash on cold water. Now, alum to get the surface and upper epidermis very dried out. If the aftershave balm is not causing issues on your face, carry on with that ... but, don't apply to your neck. Instead, get yourself a bottle of TendSkin in and apply a splash of that to your neck. You can buy a roller for this which might help you apply more directly and repeated applications between shaves. TendSkin is concentrated salycylic acid and will get right into the skin to deal with this sort of issue.

I hope that clears it up ...

Above, I said that if the balm is not causing you issues on your face to carry on. If it is actually irritable on your face, you could always ditch that and try something else. When I get irritable skin (usually through sticky summer months), I like to use Prep Creme. My method there is to shave, wash well with just hot water, splash on cold and then while wet apply a dot of Prep Creme and rub all over face. Pat dry. It's cooling and slightly anaesthetic, relaxing too, and you can see from the packaging that it's advised for all manner of skin complaints.

So, consider ...

https://www.tendskin.com/ < you'll find this on eBay/Amazon
https://prepskincare.co.uk/ < buying direct is actually the cheapest
Yeah it is pro dominantly below the jawline. I have been using cerave salycylic acid cleanser pre shave in the shower and post shave the salicylic moisturiser that has peptides including hyaluronic acid etc. I have been using that for two months now with little to no improvement.
The strange thing is I didn't have this problem cartridge shaving. I would say if it was my technique or was shaving too close the alum would sting etc after shaving but it doesn't not in the slightest.
It's a long shot but I got my wife to look at the bumps under light and noted that each bump had the hair coming out of the skin and didn't see any trapped hair beneath the skin, could it be a staphylococcus/fungal infection for example in the follicles, and nothing to do with my regimen?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom