Rank these T.V. Shows

As a kid growing up, I never watched much t.v. As I got older, American t.v. started showing BBC shows from the 70's.
I really enjoyed them, not only because they were funny but because they reminded me of being in England at that time.
So it occurred to me, what did the people who lived there think about them.
This isn't just for the geezers like me who were around then, but anyone familiar with them.
If you were alive at that time, what do you notice about the the way the classes were depicted, what were your thoughts about it
and what strikes you, seeing these now as opposed to then. Not just the jokes or the situations, but how society was reflected by them.
If your not old enough to remember, or weren't even alive, how do these depictions of that world look to you? Do you see it with
fondness, can you relate to it today, or do you just see it as a bunch of old duffers who are all mostly dead now.
I don't want to come across as a Headmaster assigning homework, I just find it endlessly fascinating.
I mentioned in my welcome thread, that I recently saw a program on BBC America about the new buildings in London.
And that I was shocked to see grown men walking about the streets in short pants and t shirts (not that there is anything wrong with it)
It was just so different from the England I knew in my youth.
In those days, gentlemen were expected to wear proper trousers, a coat, a waistcoat, and depending on your station, the ubiquitous
bowler. (does anyone still were them, I didn't see one on the program, and believe me I looked!).
So come on now chaps, rank the shows and tell me about your impressions of the characters, the situations, and how it related
to the times.
Remember, there are no wrong answers, so let me let me say ahead of time ‘you've all done very well!'

1) til death do us part
2) steptoe and son
3) the fall and rise of Reginald Perrin
4) rising damp
5) are you being served?

Rising Damp is the only classic listed above, Steptoe is watchable. Reggie Perrin is best left as a memory, it's probably not as good as you remember. I personally prefer The Good Life, Porridge and Dad's Army.

Back
Top Bottom