Quote from B & B

'I used to feel uncomfortable shopping in WF wondering what weird left-wing political causes I was supporting by paying those high prices. After reading the above John Mackey editorial I now shop there with abandon! I'm pretty sure my money is going to some strange places (as well as I am also sure many GOOD places) and I now have enough respect for Mackey to be sure it is not funding Nicaraguan Communists or some such. '

WF stands for Whole Food by the way, not Weapons Funding.....is there a vital connection missing in the above, or is it just me who doesn't see any obvious link between whole food and communist revolutionaries.

The most obvious link is that in Soviet Russia consumer goods (including highly processed food with all the goodness removed) were of poor quality or unavailable - even bread was subject to massive shortage and clearly that has been imprinted in the negative on the American psyche.

Or of course they could just be the sort of nutcases who strip down their razors after every shave, steep it in alcohol and then keep it in a dehumidified chamber to prevent oxidation.

Who knows? You decide...

There is an undeniable link between those "whole Food"-type shops and Guardian-reading, hemp-shoe-wearing, tofu-smoking, yoghurt-knitting Marxists.

I tells yer!

Because in my personal experience so many whole foods (e.g. brown rice and bread) cost twice as much as their refined cousins; it is of course possible to eat healthily and cheaply e.g. pulses cost very little. But to eat healthily and conveniently, and not spend a good part of every day in the kitchen, costs.
Of course my comparison is between middles class professionals and working class/ unemployed.....I would imagine the upper classes don't have to endure too many microwave meals.

soapalchemist said:
Because in my personal experience so many whole foods (e.g. brown rice and bread) cost twice as much as their refined cousins; it is of course possible to eat healthily and cheaply e.g. pulses cost very little. But to eat healthily and conveniently, and not spend a good part of every day in the kitchen, costs.

We all have different priorities I guess. If one follows the professional marketing 'advice' of suppliers then anything can have a higher cost as opposed to a true value. Perhaps it is the small independent sector which provides goods and services to an unwary market with claims of product efficacy which is more to blame than gullible purchasers.

soapalchemist said:
Of course my comparison is between middles class professionals and working class/ unemployed.....I would imagine the upper classes don't have to endure too many microwave meals.

I have to be blunt and say I hope that that is not meant to be as patronising to each group as it sounds?

:?

The most prepared meal ever in this house is a pizza 2 or 3 times a month.

Neither SWMBO nor I spend "all day" in the kitchen - nor do we spend a fortune on the ingredients - I learned as a young man from my ma & grandma what made for good healthy tasty food on a budget... if there is more than about 40 minutes prep spent on a meal, then it had better have Heston Blue-Mental preparing it :D

Blyth Spirit said:
We all have different priorities I guess. If one follows the professional marketing 'advice' of suppliers then anything can have a higher cost as opposed to a true value. Perhaps it is the small independent sector which provides goods and services to an unwary market with claims of product efficacy which is more to blame than gullible purchasers.

I don't understand what the above means. What is the small independant sector you are referring to?

Blyth Spirit said:
soapalchemist said:

I have to be blunt and say I hope that that is not meant to be as patronising to each group as it sounds?

:?

Is it patronising to assume that middle class professionals have more money than the working class and unemployed?? Or that the upper class (who would normally have more money than the other two groups) don't have to endure microwave meals? Whether they choose to endure them or not, I wouldn't know.

hunnymonster said:
The most prepared meal ever in this house is a pizza 2 or 3 times a month.

Neither SWMBO nor I spend "all day" in the kitchen - nor do we spend a fortune on the ingredients - I learned as a young man from my ma & grandma what made for good healthy tasty food on a budget... if there is more than about 40 minutes prep spent on a meal, then it had better have Heston Blue-Mental preparing it :D

I unfortunately never learned how to cook until I had to, although I'm not too bad at it nowadays. I know I could feed myself very healthily for next to nothing, but it would take a lot more time than I want to spend. Unfortunately for HWMOM, my idea of the best use for a great big pot is to make soap in it. :lol: I don't like too much peeling and chopping, if I can help it.

soapalchemist said:
Is it patronising to assume that middle class professionals have more money than the working class and unemployed?? Or that the upper class (who would normally have more money than the other two groups) don't have to endure microwave meals? Whether they choose to endure them or not, I wouldn't know.

I think it is, you're making very big assumptions there.

I'm working class and have far more disposable income than a great number of my middle class colleagues. Most of them are mortgaged up to the eyeballs, have huge credit card debts and car loans.

Mugs.

Why is it patronising to make assumptions based on statistical facts? You're surely not going to tell me that single parents on benefit have more money than the upper class??
Of course I am aware that individuals from any class will not all fall into the statistical norm for that group, either income wise or any other attirbute wise.
Personally, I'm glad I grew up in Ireland where class divisions have never been so entrenched as in England, so I don't have any strong class alleigence. Further I have experienced periods of near destitution in my life, so I certainly don't look down on others who find themselves in difficult circumstances.
So I really don't know what all this hostility is supposed to be aimed at.

hando said:
i think i'll avoid this one lads :evil:

Probably very wise; I forget sometimes how sensitive some people are about class issues. Here is some info on the demographic of the very company under discussion.......

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=353529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=353529</a><!-- m -->

Isn't this the Funny thread? lol

I went into WF and they were selling Jordans Nut Cereal (really tasty) for way more than the other supermarkets :(

Back
Top Bottom