Quick thanks

To neil miller, just got his 3" line linen and bridle strop and it's massive, i love the feel of the leather very soft and supple and for me just the right amount of draw, enough to give feedback but not so much it drags the razor along, the edges do curl a bit but that's known with all large strops and not a fault really just something any newbies have to watch for, i still go across with a small x motion just so this isn't an issue im sure once broken in it'll be fine.

So thanks neil im dead chuffed. :cool:

What's the best way of breaking them in i was thinking a glass bottle and use the odd bit of saddle soap/neatsfoot oil to keep it supple.

That's great news - I'm glad you like it! You are right about the tendency of large strops to exhibit a bit of curl, but this leather is quite soft and pliable and I find that gently rolling the edges up or down from time to time alleviates the problem. It will help break-in the strop too, although in terms of suppleness it requires no breaking in.

What you will find is that the natural oils/waxes used in the tanning will leave a slight surface residue - this will become less over time until it is at the same sort of level as latigo. By this time the draw will have lessened a bit, but conversely the razors edge will be left a bit more refined.

As you say, you can use a glass bottle and a good glycerin-rich saddle soap to address the tendency to cup - the saddle soap should have some neatsfoot in its formulation already, so if you apply more to the strop to restore the draw after soft-soaping it, be careful and apply sparingly - I usually use a piece of cloth with a few drops of neatsfoot on it and rub this across the strop quickly and evenly, buffing the excess up. If the draw is not quite there the next day, repeat the oiling, always leaving a day or so for it to be thoroughly taken up by the leather before assessing it.

All theBest,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom