Proper hamburger

I was in London last summer, visiting from the USA, and noticed a couple of times a sign with the words “proper hamburger”. I was not able to stop in and ask what is meant by that phrase so I was hoping that someone here might be able to enlighten me?

I really tried to make it to the club district but the group I was with had other plans and I got overruled. Next time I visit London I will have my glass of London Pride at Shakespeare’s Head and will go to the shaving shops on my own and they can go to Windsor Castle - again. Ha ha ha

Thank you.
Dennis

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
I've never heard if that chain but guess it must have been an advert for someone who claims to make proper burgers as against to the usual Mac's or Burger King etc.

I do have a love for a good burger and out of the chains I find ' The handmade burger Co' and 'Gourmet Burger Kitchen' to be among the better.

London Pride? Nice choice

OP
ike

ike

I've never heard if that chain but guess it must have been an advert for someone who claims to make proper burgers as against to the usual Mac's or Burger King etc.

I do have a love for a good burger and out of the chains I find ' The handmade burger Co' and 'Gourmet Burger Kitchen' to be among the better.

Yes, I believe it is a restaurant chain, but I don't know how widespread. I didn't find anything immediately on my first internet search because I googled "proper hamburger" and not "proper burger".

https://www.yelp.com/biz/proper-burgers-london

Regarding the London Pride, I discovered it for the first time on trip to London in 2004 but it is very spotty finding it in the USA. It is easier to find in bigger cities, but I live in a fairly small town so my choices are more limited. Cheers. :)

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member

I haven't tried handmade burger Co but I really didn't rate GBK, reminded me of a fat bird's-eye burger from back in the day, very firm, overcooked and no flavour.
I quite enjoyed the 5 guys offering though.
I have been trying to recreate the smashed burgers I had at Freddys in the states. I am now at the stage of mincing the beef myself which gives truly great results with regard to texture and flavour.
Mmmmmm craving burgers now

I may start making my own burgers again, my local butcher I am sure is now making his burgers with pea starch/flour. It gives them a weird taste.

Why isn't a McD's/BK etc burger not considered to be a 'real' burger? Of course they might not be the tastiest out there or very good for you in the long run, but they are still are a burger!

In the UK, Wendys were around briefly. They were majestic!

I like 5 guys but too expensive and I don't think it's worth (just like shake shack)! It's a shame we don't have Hardee's (sister company of Carls Jr.) in UK! About proper burgers I think they were talking about Byron (never tried).

Top Bottom