Preshave Thoughts

Been lucky enough to try a few preshaves and had some decent results.

The king for me is proraso.
Used the green and great menthol kick. Just tried the Proraso White
(thanks Jim with the PIF). The white gives the same performance. Smell is like sweet milk. Not unpleasant

Noxzema- not originally made as a preshave. Used today. Tried some during each pass and it was outstanding. Gives amazing glide and post shave feel. Only downside- The smell. Very medicinal and not pleasant but would use again.

Baume.be preshave gel. Comes in a 50ml jar. Great presentation and packaging. Believe the base is carrot oil. Performance and smell are ok but nothing to rave about. Believe they use carrot oil as a base and that is what comes through with the smell rather than a cologne smell which disappointed

Glycerin soap bar - many members use this and like it. For me it is a middle of the road performer. Didn't notice a big difference with the shave to be honest

YMMV

Your welcome Bryan, I had tried them but couldn't see any difference personally. Just happy its working out for you, that Noxema smell is somerhing else.

Jim

Miles853 said:
Been lucky enough to try a few preshaves and had some decent results.

The king for me is proraso.
Used the green and great menthol kick. Just tried the Proraso White
(thanks Jim with the PIF). The white gives the same performance. Smell is like sweet milk. Not unpleasant

Noxzema- not originally made as a preshave. Used today. Tried some during each pass and it was outstanding. Gives amazing glide and post shave feel. Only downside- The smell. Very medicinal and not pleasant but would use again.

Baume.be preshave gel. Comes in a 50ml jar. Great presentation and packaging. Believe the base is carrot oil. Performance and smell are ok but nothing to rave about. Believe they use carrot oil as a base and that is what comes through with the smell rather than a cologne smell which disappointed

Glycerin soap bar - many members use this and like it. For me it is a middle of the road performer. Didn't notice a big difference with the shave to be honest

YMMV

Miles, how did you use the Noxzema, did you rub it in your face when wet then leave it on and lather on top?

Which Noxzema product, Bryan?

There's a few...spotted this shaving cream in LLoyds http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/noxzema-protective-shave-cocoa-butter-300ml-230755%3Futm_source%3DGoogle%26utm_medium%3DProduct%26utm_campaign%3DProduct?gclid=CNCTrPS5lsQCFceWtAodjg4A6Q

but that's not what you mean.

Stan, this is what i ordered off Amazon, but look at the other vendors selling them, Afro cosmetics are a quid cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noxzema-Deep-Cleansing-Cream-Moisturizers/dp/B003LA90RU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1425740574&sr=8-5&keywords=noxzema+deep+cleansing+cream

Hiya,

This is one of those subjects that I don't have a reference point for. The idea of using a special cream as a base layer for the shave......I am in the dark here.

I get the part about slick performance and very good post shave care. Everyone wants that.

So I am guessing that even with less than a wonderful soap/cream, this pre shave stuff is gonna smooth things out considerably. I'm guessing it would also help with incorrectly made lather. Is that right? Also, can the cream mix with the lather and degrade it somehow? Plus, do some creams tend to clog things up that requires more rinsing the razor off?

Is this stuff applied instead of, rather than in addition to the normal prep y'all might use? For example, might some of you apply that to save some time skipping a hot towel prep?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Preshave is a thing that divides opinion. Some believe it useless and a waste of money. I'm in the camp that enjoy it and believe it does have benefits. I tend to apply it as the first act when preparing for a shave no matter the quality of cream or hot towel. Suppose a ritual thing if you like. I don't like the oils as they can clot the brush hairs together but the preshave creams are fine

Miles853 said:
Hi Martin,

Preshave is a thing that divides opinion. Some believe it useless and a waste of money. I'm in the camp that enjoy it and believe it does have benefits. I tend to apply it as the first act when preparing for a shave no matter the quality of cream or hot towel. Suppose a ritual thing if you like. I don't like the oils as they can clot the brush hairs together but the preshave creams are fine

Ok good, you would use the cream no matter what prep or product. Thanks.

I can sure see the benefits, especially if someone isn't using a really good product or their lather isn't made the best. Not saying that's your situation at all, but just mentioning it happening to some people.

Downside seems to sometimes be the scent and one extra thing to buy and apply. Yeah, I can understand that being an ok trade off.

I appreciate your thoughts,

Martin

I use proraso green before every shave. I rub it in a couple of minutes before I start splashing my face with water to give it time to soak in a little. It seems to work for me and I enjoy the shave more with it than without - so it remains part of my routine!

Thanks for clarifying in response to my query. I saw both and kinda guessed we were talking about the original, but wasn't sure. I read a couple of articles explaining some of the background .... as alway there were enthusiasts and detractors. Much of the conversations revolved around whether it cleared acne. Other aspects quoted various people's grandmothers who used it all their life and at the age of 152 only looked 17.

My pre-shave always includes my patented Frankenoil and a liquid soapy mixture and glycerine all mixed up and vigorously rubbed in for about four hours. The oil always gets another outing for subsequent applications of the razor (I now gather the word is "Pass") I think the term "buffing" might apply to me going round doing the bits I didn't get close enough on the first couple of attempts and the oil always helps things there.

You can see I'm getting the hang of this, can't you :)

And I presume the Proraso referred to above is the 'Pre (Post) Shave Cream', in any one of three or possibly four colours?

You have now passed through ' getting the hang of this ' DStanley and have fully entered into the enabling stage ! Only in TSR could this be intended as a compliment ...

JohnnyO. :icon_rolleyes:/.

I have also tried a lot of pre shaves, oils, Proraso, gel, glycerin soap and butters. I enjoy all of them and they each have their different effects. I personally think they do best at improving the aftercare of your face. I will always use a pre shave as it is also an enjoyable step to have.

Back
Top Bottom