Pre shave oil recomendation ?

Hi Folks,

The first pre shave oil I ever had was from "the art of shaving " which I bought last year after a full shave with these guys which was fantastic over in Vagas. I bought there unscented range and loved it but struggle to get it over here.

So I bought a bottle of "blue beards"...........Its vile, it smells and feels like some sort of processed chip fat or something, it really is nasty and I cant think of any other use for it other than the bin.

I very much like my TOBS sandlewood cream, so what other pre-shave oils would you recomend ?

ATB

Matt

Can be purchased in the EU here -

http://www.ie.wowhd.com/search?q=art+of+shaving&t=all

I'm currently using Floid pre-shave oil which is quite nice. Village Barber another good one.

Yes I have Bluebeards. Not good is it! I don't think chip fat would do a worse job.

salop sniper said:
Hi Folks,

The first pre shave oil I ever had was from "the art of shaving " which I bought last year after a full shave with these guys which was fantastic over in Vagas. I bought there unscented range and loved it but struggle to get it over here.

So I bought a bottle of "blue beards"...........Its vile, it smells and feels like some sort of processed chip fat or something, it really is nasty and I cant think of any other use for it other than the bin.

I very much like my TOBS sandlewood cream, so what other pre-shave oils would you recomend ?

ATB

Matt

Is it just oil you are after? If not, I can recommend Edwin Jagger pre shave cream - I've used it non stop for about a year now, mainly with straights but the occasional DE and SE a well. Prior to that I tried various oils and creams - Barbershop oil is good as is the after shave balm. Proraso was OK but does not compare to EJ.

Personally, having tried various oils (including TOBS), I find creams better - nothing to do with how oils affect lather, I've never noticed a significant deterioration, but performance is better in my experience.

My favourite is Murdocks, but for sheer performance Zirh pre shave oil was the best. It really is very slippery, it feels like it's got teflon in it. Trouble is, it doesn't have a scent which lets it down for me.

1st Murdocks
2nd T&H Ultimate Comfort
3rd Zirh

Got to say I'm quite intrigued by oils after last night's result. It was undoubtedly down to the oil. The mistake I made in the beginning of DE shaving was adding too many variable before I got my technique down and that's when I initially tried the oil. My technique is now pretty good but even with luscious, moisturised lather my skin feels dry during a shave. I think my skin is always in a dry state even though a moisturise. To make matters worse I have a thick beard combined with soft skin. I think I'm a prefect candidate for pre shave oil.

When I used the pre shave last night I could feel how supple my skin felt during the shave and it felt so moisturised and protected. I could go over the same areas over and over and had no irritation at all even though at times I was shaving over bare skin. I believe that suppleness also made the razor more efficient in following the contours of my face.

Of course many don't need an oil but for some it's probably a necessity.

Pre ordered some Village Barber today in their Black Friday sale.

jaycey said:
My favourite is Murdocks, but for sheer performance Zirh pre shave oil was the best. It really is very slippery, it feels like it's got teflon in it. Trouble is, it doesn't have a scent which lets it down for me.

1st Murdocks
2nd T&H Ultimate Comfort
3rd Zirh

Back
Top Bottom