Post shave cleaning

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
LeJog 2022 Finisher
It came to mind after a recent SOTD, but how many actually clean all their shaving tools after a shave?

I have to admit to be being quite meticulous on this side and do spend 5 minutes or so cleaning everything under hot water and either leaving to air dry or pat dry with a clean towel. By everything I mean, razor, blade, bowl, brush, sink and even down to giving the soap or cream tub a wipe.

Anyone else down this road or is it just rinse and forget?

I am big believer that by looking after everything I have they will remain to give me valued (and clean) returns. I am the same with my car, HiFi, guitars etc etc.

My wife does look upon me in a kind of 'you're effing bonkers' manner, although she has recently discovered Kondoism and the whole house now fits into boxes.

@Satanfriendly I'm with you 100%!

Everything pat dried straight after I use it during a shave (pre shave cream, soap/cream). Then at the end of the shave, once I've rubbed the excess lather into my face, the brush is rinsed out and dried (as best I can before it being sat at a open window), bowl is rinsed out and dried, razor is stripped then washed and dried (including the blade).

After that my face is given a cold wash to remove the lather and finally aftershave and balm thrown on. Then they too are pat dried on the outside.

It's all down to the detail!

Do I have a problem? [emoji848]

@Satanfriendly I'm with you 100%!

Everything pat dried straight after I use it during a shave (pre shave cream, soap/cream). Then at the end of the shave, once I've rubbed in the excess lather into my face, the brush is rinsed out and dried (as best I can before it being sat at a open window), bowl is rinsed out and dried, razor is stripped then washed and dried (including the blade).

After that my face is given a cold wash to remove the lather and finally aftershave and balm thrown on. Then they too are pat dried on the outside.

It's all down to the detail!

Do I have a problem? [emoji848]
No! This is how it should be done :) P.

Gordy you wash and dry the blade?
Then the answer is yes I think you have a problem :LOL:
For me the only thing that gets a regular thorough clean is the brush, razor gets rinsed and when I change blade I will wipe it over, maybe every six months I will give it a deep clean. Brush gets rinsed and sits out to dry. Every couple of months I will borax and or vinegar soak.

Gordy you wash and dry the blade?
Then the answer is yes I think you have a problem :LOL:
For me the only thing that gets a regular thorough clean is the brush, razor gets rinsed and when I change blade I will wipe it over, maybe every six months I will give it a deep clean. Brush gets rinsed and sits out to dry. Every couple of months I will borax and or vinegar soak.

I may have misled by using the word “wash”. It gets a rinse under hot/warm water to remove the lather and stubble that seems to enjoy welding itself on. On occasion I have to give the blade a wipe to remove this, then the blade is laid flat on a towel and pat dried.

The razor gets the same treatment before it's all put back together and stored.

D'ya know.....I'm thinking I actually do have a problem. After the razors get used they get placed back in their original boxes......[emoji15]

Yep - take the blade out and wipe it in a soft cloth cleaning towards the edge so the edge doesn't get dulled. I don't like soap scum on blades, especially when it hardens. Wipe the rest of the razor and put the blade back. Obviously, clean the brush well and shake it out, clean the basin and everything else. I have to clean the floor at times since I use quite wet lather and it goes everywhere.

I know I have a problem as I've always been obsessive about cleaning equipment post shave. For my razors (excepting injectors) I dismantle the razor, clean and dry the blade. For Gem blades I put them back in the sleeves, and for AC blades, I wrap in paper. For both, I dot the number of shaves with a marker.
It's this OCD behaviour that originally put me off injectors. For the two I have, I carefully dry as best I can.
For brushes, I thoroughly rinse, shake and towel dry. Then stand upright to dry.

Save me somebody.

I know I have a problem as I've always been obsessive about cleaning equipment post shave. For my razors (excepting injectors) I dismantle the razor, clean and dry the blade. For Gem blades I put them back in the sleeves, and for AC blades, I wrap in paper. For both, I dot the number of shaves with a marker.
It's this OCD behaviour that originally put me off injectors. For the two I have, I carefully dry as best I can.
For brushes, I thoroughly rinse, shake and towel dry. Then stand upright to dry.

Save me somebody.
A small long haired artists paint brush sorts out the injectors for cleaning and dry.(y);)

My fellow OCD sufferers, I am actually quite amazed how many go through much the same cleaning ritual. @GordyC nice to read of someone else who uses the remaining lather for a final wash. I always think it would be a shame to simply flush it all down the plug hole.

And then at the end of it all everything goes back in to its corresponding box so as to not upset the feng shui and Mrs Satanfriendly at the same time.

My fellow OCD sufferers, I am actually quite amazed how many go through much the same cleaning ritual. @GordyC nice to read of someone else who uses the remaining lather for a final wash. I always think it would be a shame to simply flush it all down the plug hole.

And then at the end of it all everything goes back in to its corresponding box so as to not upset the feng shui and Mrs Satanfriendly at the same time.

@Satanfriendly

Sir, I salute you!

e58c89a0085193466095cfc6d022331c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom