Personna Nazareth closing

Me to although I do like the Wilkinson DE made in Solingen. For me the 7 o'clock Sharp Edge and the dark blue Platinum are the best currently made. I have been told that the Platinum has replaced the Polsilver which is not currently in production, and has not been made since 2015/16.

Luckily there is a big demand for Personna DE for industrial use, even though the Platinum Chrome are packed in 10's, 99% are not used for shaving. The German ones will be different, they will try to make them the same but they won't be able to. Silver Blues made in France, Czech Rep & Russia are all different but made to the same spec. Gillette Platinums made in Brazil are different to the Russian ones. Personna Platinum Chrome are one of the most popular blades for Connaught.

Luckily there is a big demand for Personna DE for industrial use, even though the Platinum Chrome are packed in 10's, 99% are not used for shaving. The German ones will be different, they will try to make them the same but they won't be able to. Silver Blues made in France, Czech Rep & Russia are all different but made to the same spec. Gillette Platinums made in Brazil are different to the Russian ones. Personna Platinum Chrome are one of the most popular blades for Connaught.

Apologies to ask an obvious question but 99% aren't used for shaving then what are they used for?

A shame to see the Israeli Personna PC go, I've thought it to be a very good blade.

I'm yet to be convinced by any modern German DE blade, the Solingen Wilkinson Sword being the poorest of the 3 modern made blades sold as a Wilkinson Sword, and consequently have low expectations for Personna PC's that will come from Solingen.

One Mexican poster on another forum said they make some Platinum DE blades in Mexico which has never been confirmed. If so, maybe they will pick up the slack(?).

...For me the 7 o'clock Sharp Edge and the dark blue Platinum are the best currently made. I have been told that the Platinum has replaced the Polsilver...

Do you think the newest "blue Box" Platinum is the same as the older white/blue border box Platinum that is the common one now? Regardless, it's a Helluva blade.

They should be, Gillette have a Platinum/Super Platinum spec, their premium option. That's why the Super Iridium/Polsilvers are often great, they are the premium blade for the Eastern Europe market. These light blue Platinums should just be different packaging so the only difference would be production years, as long as they're Russian made. My current dark blue Platinums are new, after 2017 as they're single wrapped and etched on one side. It would be interesting to trial them side by side with the light blue version. I can swap a collection of Gillette blades of for say 20 of these, if anyone wants to trade.

Official sources, from Personna UK and US, said the Mexico plant is just for packaging. Its a big plant as it is/was used to package Israel and US made blades for markets all over the world. Again the bulk of the market is for industrial use. Not sure where the bulk of cartridge blades are made now, CT or Solingen, but all the DE blades will be made in Solingen now. You would think they would have a China factory for the industrial market, Solingen is not the cheapest place to have a factory.

...It would be interesting to trial them side by side with the light blue version. I can swap a collection of Gillette blades of for say 20 of these, if anyone wants to trade.

I have done a SxS test and can tell no real difference for the most part, both being top tier. However, to be objective others say the new ones seem smoother, i.e., sharper. One has to ask the question why Gillette would improve an antiquated DE blade when with deteriorating market share their inevitable goal would be to convert people over to more profitable ctg./disposable platforms(?). :confused:

They should be, Gillette have a Platinum/Super Platinum spec, their premium option. That's why the Super Iridium/Polsilvers are often great, they are the premium blade for the Eastern Europe market. These light blue Platinums should just be different packaging so the only difference would be production years, as long as they're Russian made. My current dark blue Platinums are new, after 2017 as they're single wrapped and etched on one side. It would be interesting to trial them side by side with the light blue version. I can swap a collection of Gillette blades of for say 20 of these, if anyone wants to trade.

I tried comparing a new Astra SP to an older printed Astra SP, and I found the newer one to be smoother.

I have a suspicion the new laser etched Platinums whether they in the Dark Blue box (Arab market) or the Light Blue box (Eastern European market) are the same but if they might be a slightly improved version of the older double printed Gillette Platinum. It was a while ago since I used a printed Gillette Platinum which was a very good blade, but the newer etched Platinum (light blue box) is an outstanding blade.

Back
Top Bottom