Closed Passaround : Merkur 45c COMPLETE

I've got some lightweight bakelite or plastic razors that I'll be offering as a passaround over the next couple of months.

First up is the Bakelite Merkur 45c:

Lightweight
Weighs 16g
Short handled, 3'' long handle
Closed comb
Red/Black

Usual rules apply.

Names below:

4A4E15A8C74F62C87F7D586634CA2131875E78.jpg

Never tried a bakelite DE (other than the Neo Gam that is), so I'd like to give it go...

Many thanks...
Just to be a smart-arse again - I believe I've read somewhere the Neo Gam was made from Urea-formaldehyde, not Bakelite.
Btw: I might be interested in this pass around, but I'm not sure if I can fit it in. I need some time with my Feather after Christmas. I'll keep an eye on this thread...

Okay so the Merkur landed this morning. This one had me hooked straight out the jiffy bag box. The colour is spectacular and the angled head makes for an unusual razor. That and it weighs nowt.

SAM_3264_zpszygpyuea.jpg

Here's a shot of the head and blade angle...

SAM_3274_zpsn1krgjs8.jpg

On the whole the razor looks well made. It doesn't feel like Bakelite to me and it might be brittle so I won't throw it against the wall to find out.
I would prefer a threaded insert in the handle to hold the brass stud on the top cap. The Wardonia is built that way but not this un.

SAM_3271_zpsidsetvev.jpg

So off to work with a Polsilver SI and 4 days growth. Spectacular shave. Effortless, comfortable and close. I like it. I like it a lot. It's light of course but I didn't use any pressure and didn't need to. This isn't a mild razor. Best I can come up with is more aggressive than my OLD and less aggressive than my Fatip. I might well end up buying one even though I don't need one. Mmmmm

One more thing is blade alignment. It needs a bit of fiddling but not as much as my Fatip. That really is fiddlyer than a fiddly thing.
So a great shaver at a great price and it looks great in the bathroom. What's not to like?

SAM_3284_zpskyccsesg.jpg

Glad you liked it.

I think I also found that the blade just needed a small nudge to line it up correctly, not much but just a gnats whisker.

I though it to be mild, just goes to show YMMV and all that, but you can throw it about quite easily and with little worry.

No way this is a mild razor mate. It's pretty smooth and comfortable yes but its not mild.
A Tech is mild. The Feather AS-D2 is mild. Even the Mongoose is mild. EJ's are mild
although not as mild as the above. The 45c is way more aggressive than any of those.

Okay another great shave tonight with the 45C. I've not got much else to add really.. It's a great shaver. As it's plastic and around £25 I won't be buying one but if this were made of brass I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Rowler please PM me your address and I'll have it off in the post on Monday. Thanks Whosthedaddy for the chance to try it. I've often considered buying one but just didn't press the button.
th

Received and tried out!

Wow, not sure what to say about this but what a great shaver this is! Incredibly lightweight, very manoeuvrable and easy to use. Just enough "bite" without being too aggressive. And such a smooooth shave, much like the Neo Gam but maybe doesn't quite
shave as close...
I think I may have look into a bakelite razor!!!

Back
Top Bottom