Parker Variant

I recently bought a Parker Variant having used an Edwin Jagger DE89 for some months with no problems. I have used the Parker (which is a beautiful razor) for about a week on the lowest setting but have found it to be more agressive than the Jagger which I expected but it is causing irritation and some nicks which I have not experienced since I started. I have varied the blades using Astra, Wilkinson Sword and Personna Platinum all of which work really well for me in my Jagger but with the same result. It is heavier with a longer handle than I am used to and although the weight is not a problem I wonder if the longer handle is affecting my technique? Several sites and forums I have looked at recommend the Parker for beginners (I have been DE shaving for about 8 months). My thought was to work up the Parker gradually to about a 2 or 3 setting to help with the number of passes I need on my cheeks to get a smooth shave but at the moment I cannot get past setting 1. Should I cut my losses and sell it or persist to get it under control? Any thoughts please?

I haven't used a Variant, but have a couple of suggestions.

Firstly, the quality of Parker razors has historically been so-so. Have you checked that the blade gap and exposure look even on both sides and that the adjustment works as expected?

Second thing to check would be operator error, have you started using it in the same way as when you first began using the DE89, with the razor perpendicular to your face then slowly lowering the handle until you hear it cut? You might be trying to use an angle that suited the DE89 but not the Variant, which might be due to different geometry, handle length or something else. Each razor is a bit different and you generally need to adjust your technique to it.

Sure that others will be along with suggestions too

Back to basics. Had another go this morning. Blade alignment ok (as it always has been) so therefore tecnique C**P! Razor settings all checked and shave done as if my firrst with DE razor. Very slow and careful, the longer handle does make a difference to the Jagger's performance but today much better. I am glad the problem was me and not the Parker :rolleyes:. I had orginally just wondered if any users new to this razor had had any difficulties with early usage. However onwards and upwards (and with the growth etc). Slow and steady and fingers crossed. Thanks sev-8 and Boycie83 for your input, us newbie's appreciate it

No worries. I've been using various DE razors for 2 and a half years - starting like many with the DE89 - and sometimes new razors just click without changes to how I'd shave, other times they don't and I have to go back to basics, challenge my assumptions and try different angles. Finally, there are razors that plain don't work for me no matter what I try and they will eventually end up on the BST :)

I was the same when I first got my Variant, I too had no issues with my first razor the DE89 like yours. At first I just COULD NOT get a comfortable shave. for me it was the angle at which I held the handle. Once I had adjusted that I could feel a difference. I also listened carefully to the razor feedback, it's different with the parker.Once I got used to specific 'song' of the razor it was much smoother sailing. now after 3 years of DE shaving, I find that all my razors have a slightly different sound when they are working efficiently, And I instinctively know if I'm getting a good shave or not before I'm even finished.

Think I have now sussed the best angle for a comfortable shave and am now working my way up slowly from the lowest setting. I am in no hurry and happy to continue to take my time but am starting to enjoy this razor. You are correct in that there is good audible feedback from the Variant which I think assists me in getting it right (hopefully). Time will tell.

It's all about the angle for me. This was the first DE razor I bought, thinking (after a lot of research) that the adjustability would make up for my lack of experience. But I struggled at first. Now, I can get a great head shave with any setting, depending on the blade and days of growth. It just takes time and perseverance. BTW for me, Nacet, Polsilver or Astra seem to be the best on any setting, other blades are a bit more specific.

Back
Top Bottom