Others Opinion On This Hobby

What are your families / friends opinion on your shaving hobby?
My Wife thinks i am mad to buy large quantities of creams, soaps, aftershaves etc and wonders why the bathroom looks like a set from Sweeny Todd Movie.
My friends cannot understand why i spend good money on more razors than i could ever use in a lifetime.

Well if i am Mad then load up the lithium injection and give me the full 10ccs.

Manimal said:
What are your families / friends opinion on your shaving hobby?
My Wife thinks i am mad to buy large quantities of creams, soaps, aftershaves etc and wonders why the bathroom looks like a set from Sweeny Todd Movie.
My friends cannot understand why i spend good money on more razors than i could ever use in a lifetime.

Some of my friends pay good money (£30+ per fortnight) to go and watch 22 primadonnas chasing an inflated pig's bladder around a lawn and generally act in an ungentlemanly fashion for under two hours - I don't get their obsession either.

My family is mixed - some of them are concerned for my mental well-being - some are actively supportive (my crinklies are keen on antiques and going antiquing - they now have another thing to look out for...)

Wife thinks that I'm mad however she likes the fact that I'm clean shaven all the time now. I only used to shave about once a week before. My friends are mixed some think that I'm nuts the others aren't that bothered as long as they dont have to shave with a straight razor.

I've had mixed responses - some co-workers have been interested, others instantly dismissive (and some downright amused!)

Family and friends have all been quite interested - we had some friends stay with us a few weeks back and the chap noticed my razors and brushed whilst he was using out bathroom to shave with his goo and mach 3. He did point out that he felt somewhat cheapened whilst shaving that day ;)

I've had a few converts, which hopefully says something!

The wife is amused by it - but understands. I don't mock her Kipling bags and she doesn't comment on my shaving stuff. Actually that's not true, we laugh about each others little 'fancies' all the time. The most important thing is that we understand the psychology of the interest/hobby rather than the detail of it.

As I don't spend a great deal of money on other indulgences such as clothes, music or books, SWMBO is happy enough with my occasional shaving purchases. We're watching the pennies a bit at the moment what with her being the main breadwinner and on maternity leave until March, but the amount I spend doesn't break the bank. But what bemuses her is why I need so much soap! :shock:

For everyone else I've mentioned my hobby to it hardly even registers. Most men are so conditioned to the 'modern' ways of shaving that a conversation is very hard to inititiate. I gave a friend some MB soap recently but haven't had any feedback. Even my Dad doesn't seem interested. Was with him in an antique shop recently and I said I was looking for razors but got no reaction at all from him! We are visiting him for a week at the end of the month so I may get a chance to convert him then!!

My girl thinks it's funny (as do I). She even got a bit interested in it when looking for a present for her father (and probably me). She loves the blue and red handled Merkurs. Why just the other day I was looking at a nameless razor on the shaving shack and she said "it's a Muhle". She's been teasing me lately that my birthday present will be a "only a 5 pack of Derbys" because she knows I don't like them.

We also joke about "BBS" and "DFS"... honestly when I first discovered B&B I would read some posts to her and we would laugh for ages. No offense to the wet shaving community, but some of the stuff is pretty funny, especially the reviews section :lol:

Yes, it's a pleasure and an indulgence - shouldn't be taken too seriously though. I've manged to quietly convert a mate but the rest aren't interested. I've been getting stick for years about being a member on a car forum - they don't work in IT where forum membership is complusory :) -
they wouldn't be able to comprehend that a shaving forum actually exists.

It is definately my main indulgence though. Whatever floats your boat. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom