Option 5 razor

Heard of these?
I bought one a couple of years ago, used it once or twice and put it back in its box in my toy box. Forgot all about it. Anyway I was looking for something else yesterday evening and found it, sitting there unloved.

I used it this morning and I was pleasantly surprised. It shaved much better than I remember. Did a google search to see if the company has made any updated versions and-Nothing, Zilch. I think they've gone for good.

Like many new razors they were a topic for discussion on here but obviously the venture didn't work out. A bit like Weber razors, one of the most popular on here and were a gold standard as it were. Still use mine a couple of times a week.

Anyone else got a favourite modern razor than reached its peak only to disappear?

I've got an Option Five, complete in the box with the golden blade, of which more were to be available, but never were.

It is a very good razor to shave with. As I recall, the biggest gripes were about its fragility, and it doesn't feel as if it would stand a heavy drop. The shape and button-release top cap are unique.

Although I can think of a few makes (it would be wrong to name them here) that had a brief flurry of sales and interest, but have since slipped off the radar, all seem to be still going in some way or another, none have disappeared quite like O5.

The time to use my Option Five came around again. I found an open packet of SuperMax Super Platinums, which are one of my least favourites, but I thought "What the heck?" and stuck one in.

Teamed up with some Nanny's and a nice Plisson brush, this thing gave me an excellent shave, yet again. It really is a remarkably good shaver, despite its peculiar looks, and is now something of a museum piece. Per my previous (old-ish) post, I take great care to keep a firm hold and not drop it. Although it hasn't been heavily used, I haven't had any problems with the button release.

I bought one of the Option 5 razors and have used it a couple of times on my YouTube channel. Always gives me a good shave. I still have it all boxed complete with the gold blade. Funnily enough, completely out of the blue, I got a PM on my Instagram account from the guy that designed ans sold it. I asked him what happened and what his plans were for the future....never heard back from him!

My own quote from TSN from a post in 2017
" I had one Phil but sold it off. Good shaving that looks like a cartridge razor but the top pops off like a Futur and you insert a regular double edge blade. Nicely made of chrome and plastic and fairly heavy. Cost under $60 with USA shipping and a 10% discount. Not sure if the company is still around though. "

a lot of razors have used that style of head. The more successful ones used it with a center post that hooked into a rotating nut in the middle of the handle.

Top Bottom