Occam's Razor-comments, advice, experience, please

I almost went for this razor in the original Kickstarter launch, but a couple of unhappy experiences with other projects on there put me off.

As I like AC-type razors, this one has cropped up again in my reckonings, and it seems to be available at a reasonable price from Classic Shaving in the USA. I'd probably go for the original 1.0 rather than the OREN version, as I don't like the skeleton handle on the latter, and I'm not too bothered about needing a reduced "comb". The possible need to load a blade with a tool/key doesn't bother me either. The screw change heads may be a bit of a challenge, but I haven't lost my Supply screw down the plughole (yet), so that's not a concern.

As with many new(er) razors, it seems to be another "Marmite", with nothing between love and hate; with, apparently, the lovers in a slight majority.

Before I do anything, I'd appreciate any information on it, from anyone who has, or had, one of these, in either version.

Thanks.

I have been on the site and was offered another 15% off. Is there a limit for the USA tax or do you always need to add 20%, also when is it added?

I have been on the site and was offered another 15% off. Is there a limit for the USA tax or do you always need to add 20%, also when is it added?
Anything comming from an non EU country to the UK will attract VAT, Customs charges and the RM fee if the value is over £15.00 . Some company's may not declare the true value on the customs slip and therefore you will get away with it but this is not common place!
P.

With discounts and postage it was just over £59. Expecting about £15 in taxes and
Uk postage.
Just ordered.

I make it about £79.84 all up (£59.87 goods and carriage, UK VAT £11.97, RM £8.00). The VAT will vary according to the exchange rate when HMRC get their paws on it. The USPS postage is a surprisingly big chunk.

Last edited:
I make it about £79.84 all up (£59.87 goods and carriage, UK VAT £11.97, RM £8.00). The VAT will vary according to the exchange rate when HMRC get their paws on it. The USPS postage is a surprisingly big chunk.
Postage and tax is more than the razor, but hey, I fancy one. Razor is £33 then I got 15% off? Mad for a SS SE
Screenshot_20190420-091154~2.png

How do we get Customs/RM notification to pay taxes etc, it's my 1st USA purchase "test"
One of two ways.

If the UK end is handled by Parcelforce International, you get a letter from them, then pay online and they deliver direct to you. If the UK is Royal Mail, the postman will deliver a "grey card", telling you how much to pay, at which point proceed to the PO, ante-up and collect the parcel. In both cases the total you're asked to pay includes VAT and the UK carrier charge (the £8 fee from RM, and whatever Parcelforce charge).

With tracking, the USPS number shows where it is (sometimes even correctly) betwixt the USA and HWDC (Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre). It then drops from sight for a day or two whilst HMRC do their stuff. By this time you should know whether it's Parcelforce or RM, and sticking the USPS tracking number into either of those two should give the whereabouts in the UK system. With RM, it usually ends up with some guff about fees to pay, and, on the day that appears, the postman delivers the card to your door and the package to your PO.

I think the last thing I bought from the USA was a Sabre razor from Blackland, but on almost all occasions the UK delivery agent was Royal Mail.

Me too. It's on its way (y)
If you stick the USPS tracking number into the Royal Mail system, you'll also see it there. (www.royalmail.com). If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you open an account with the RM i.e. an email and password login. You can then log into it any time to track deliveries like this, and also UK ones. It will store the tracking number, so you don't have to re-enter it.

I also have a USPS login, which isn't so helpful, as it doesn't store the number, but can send progress emails (texts, too, but only in USA and Canada).

I hope I'm not "teaching granny to suck eggs", but, if so, apologies.

Edit:
As I mentioned before, I normally get the RM "fee to pay" grey card through the letterbox, with a message to pay at and collect from the local PO. This is because the postman delivers it to the PO before he drops off the card, and I don't have to arrange a redelivery. However, I see that it can also be paid for online and then delivered to your door, per this RM link:-
RM Fees

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom