Oatcake Soaps

Has anyone heard of Oatcake soaps at all? I heard some good stuff about them on FB so I contacted them and they are sending me a sample set of all of their soaps for £5 inc postage which seems good value. The link below is to the shop which has a lot of positive reviews.

Has anyone heard of Oatcake soaps at all? I heard some good stuff about them on FB so I contacted them and they are sending me a sample set of all of their soaps for £5 inc postage which seems good value. The link below is to the shop which has a lot of positive reviews.

It's good soap, but don't take my word for it,, try some and you will see for yourself. :) P.

Excellent soap i think you won't be disappointed
ps another excellent shave soap you might want to try is signature soaps

Thanks all and apologies for the duplicated thread - I tried a search with my phone and it came up with an error so I assumed this hadn't been covered before.

Anyway, while I'm here, my sample pack arrived yesterday - as mentioned above just £5 for a sample of 7 soaps (although I think this is now £6 but still well worth it). I received all of the soaps except lime and I have to say that the smell on them is exquisite.

I went for my first shave with them last night and picked Abyss. I put a small amount in a bowl and started lathering up. It lathered up very easily and smelt fantastic. Upon applying it to my face the lather felt a little thin (more on this later) but created a very smooth and comfortable shave with a Merkur Futur razor set to 3.5 (which is slightly more aggressive than I usually go for). I love the scent which for my has the right balance. I applied the remaining lather to my face while washing brush / razor / bowl etc... and this dissipated quite quickly but felt soothing. After shaving I applied some LEA lotion (which I don't think will even be necessary going forward). I usually get a bit of stinging with this but there was absolutely nothing this time and I believe that this is down to the ingredients in the soap. I have sensitive skin and this soap is perfect for that based on my first experience.

Post shave feeling was top notch and this morning my face felt great.

The other thing I would add is that the service from Ed is excellent - extremely responsive and very helpful. I posted him a note mentioning the thin lather and it dissipating quickly on application post shave and he replied in the evening within half an hour. He commented that 'a lot of people report getting a thin lather early on, it just takes a bit of a slower process, loading the brush slowly and not too wet'. So I will work on that next time but even with a slightly thin lather, the results were still excellent.

In summary, excellent product and I will be buying more when I decide on which scent I like best.

Tried the soap now. Started with Abyss from the sample pack. It's a really great scent and, unusually for a soap, it leaves a little residual scent - but not enough to upset your EDC.

I've always found that the relatively small amount of soap in a sample militates against being able to load the brush really well, so I was unsurprised that, initially, face lathering with a synthetic brush produced a slightly thin lather. I was able to improve that by drying the brush and returning for a bit more soap loading. This produced a lather which, while not up there with the most copious latherers, was perfectly adequate.

It soon became evident, on shaving, that the apparent slight lather thinness bore no relationship to the cushion and protectiveness of this soap. I had an excellent shave (Blackland Blackbird and a new Personna Blue) with no weepers and superlative post-shave face feel.

This is really good soap and I recommend you try it.

Tried the soap now. Started with Abyss from the sample pack. It's a really great scent and, unusually for a soap, it leaves a little residual scent - but not enough to upset your EDC.

I've always found that the relatively small amount of soap in a sample militates against being able to load the brush really well, so I was unsurprised that, initially, face lathering with a synthetic brush produced a slightly thin lather. I was able to improve that by drying the brush and returning for a bit more soap loading. This produced a lather which, while not up there with the most copious latherers, was perfectly adequate.

It soon became evident, on shaving, that the apparent slight lather thinness bore no relationship to the cushion and protectiveness of this soap. I had an excellent shave (Blackland Blackbird and a new Personna Blue) with no weepers and superlative post-shave face feel.

This is really good soap and I recommend you try it.
I bowl lathered initially and found the lather a little thin too despite looking up to scratch (although the performance was still great). I contacted Ed who advised to use a drier brush at the start and add water more slowly and take more time on the lather. The lather was much thicker on second attempt.

Enablement has taken effect and I've ordered a tin of this soap. I've lathered and sniffed my way through the sample pack and have gone with the first one I tried - Abyss. I might have gone for the lemon but as the summer is nearly gone I think the profundity of Abyss will suit better.

It may only be me but this soap seems to be doing my skin a lot of good. It's even soothing the old rosacea.

Thanks @honeywoodjohn for the recommendation.

Enablement has taken effect and I've ordered a tin of this soap. I've lathered and sniffed my way through the sample pack and have gone with the first one I tried - Abyss. I might have gone for the lemon but as the summer is nearly gone I think the profundity of Abyss will suit better.

It may only be me but this soap seems to be doing my skin a lot of good. It's even soothing the old rosacea.

Abyss is lovely! And I agree with the doing skin some good - it is soft on the face. I'm still working my way through the samples as I'm finding that very little soap goes a very long way. I'm going to find it hard to choose and will probably end up getting a few.

Did you get a thicker lather after your first go?

Back
Top Bottom