Nightmare on Our Street!

Bad show old boy.

My nextdoor neighbours have suddenly decided to install a password on their WiFi so now I can only get on-line in the office.

How rude of them!

Any chaps who are in need of a wireless ADSL router and willing to pay the postage on it - I have a spare one here (actually I have a spare two, but I need to keep one of them because I work from home and I don't want to be in a panic purchase situation again like I was 4 years ago - which lead to me buying the biggest piece of keech ever manufactured)

And Hunny sent me a BNIB wifi modem/router thingy so now I'm on-line all over the house.

Thanks Hunny and thanks everyone (not sure what that last one is for, think it's the wine talking. But thanks for being YOU, whoever you are. Gotta love TSR. Even my wife is impressed.)

Presumably they've also tied you in to another 12/18 months contract too? (If they've moved you to an unbundled - non-BT - line, they've also tied you in to their world forever unless you pay a fee - I think it's about £50-60 to migrate back to BT so you can choose your ISP from a cast of thousands once more)

I have to say that for me and my work-from-home colleagues at work, there were 4-5% that signed to Tiscali (we have a choice) and guess who were the ones experiencing issues? All the Tiscali folk, most of the TalkTalk folk (and Tiscali is now TalkTalk).

The Church of Scotland holy person (no idea what the correct title is - perhaps Ollie knows?) up the road used extremely irreligious words in regard of his Tiscali connection (to the Tiscali "help" desk) not long after we moved in here (he called on me as a known techie in the street), because my GPRS connection (43.2kbps) was actually more reliable and faster than his 8M Tiscali connection... They let him out of his contract because they admitted they were unable to supply what he'd contracted (conversation recorded and used in evidence when he asked to quit).

Notwithstanding that - if it works for you, great!

Thanks for the confidence boost! :eek:

I've been with Tiscali for about six or seven years and I haven't had a sniff of trouble with them...it was an independently bought router (to be fair, about 4 years ago) recommended by an "IT Expert" which has caused me the problems, more than once.

All I want is plug and play, speedy times and free calls 24/7. That's a real bonus with a teenage daughter commandeering the phone at all hours and a son in his final year at UNN.

Here's hoping!

It's all down to expectations I guess - I'm lucky, my ISP is primarily interested in business (daytime) users so they dimension their network accordingly - and that means it flies all evening too...

I know from a previous life (supporting a lot of - about 1000 - home workers) that some of the "big names" (ie. the ones you saw advertised most) who went through unbundling exchanges ordered such pitiable uplinks that if there were 2 of their customers on-line at once then neither could possibly get full speed (and typically they only unbundle when there are hundreds of their customers on any given exchange). Imagine sharing your "8Mbit broadband" with say 50 other people on-line via your exchange and there's only 10Mbits of capacity between your exchange and the rest of the world - it instantly means you can only expect 200kbit performance (~4 x dial up) and that's before any other network loading effects kick in.

For obvious reasons as a home worker (and avoiding a 120 mile daily commute in the process), I can't run that risk... I pay handsomely for avoiding that risk too - I suspect my DSL bill is higher than anyone else's here actually but I am paying for the ability to be able to call the Director of the company supplying it 24x365, no degradation in service at any point in the day or night, enhanced upload speed and near enough limitless download (if I need it - and sometimes I shift 4-5GB per day with downloads for work) - but it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than a tankful of fuel a week :)

Next week I'll be going in to the office for the first time since December 2008 - and I only went in then for Christmas dinner :hungrig - it's always a wonder to me how many people I don't recognise when I go in :eek: :shock: :? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom