Newly Aquired Osborne,Garret & Co Kropp

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

DSC_0258_zpsunmnpink.jpg

I Pressed the Button on this Beautiful NOS Shave Ready 6/8th by Osborne, Garrett & Co Kropp Ltd 1899 - 1923...The Blade was made in Sheffield England & was Ground in Hamburg..I just Love these 6/8th Blades..I got this Razor on EBay from a British Seller that does the High Quality Windrose Stainless Handles that a lot of folks have been buying on TSR..They offer a Honing Service & what appears to be their own Windrose 6/8th Straight Razors at a very Competitive Price..They also sell Scales & Pins & stuff..o_O

It arrived today & I had my Maiden Shave with it straight out the Box..This Razor is in Mint Condition & was Indeed Shave Ready to a High Standard..The Kropp 6/8th Blade is Awesome Sharp, Very Smooth & Forgiving..I am Impressed with the standard of work these Guys have done here..Two Passes & a Quick Touch Up for a Darn Close Shave with BBS in Most Places..:p

I thought it was worth posting this up because if the quality of work on this Razor is anything to go by their own Windrose razors would be Ideal for Folks looking for a 1st Straight Razor & of course their Back Up Honing Service..I am Over the Moon with the Kropp..It Sings Like a Canary & as I have mentioned its so Darn Smooth..First Class Service from these Guys at Windrose..:D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262269805616?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Billy

Kropp are good quality razors - I've honed and restored quite a few and have always been impressed by the quality of the grind in terms of consistency. Yours is Hamburg grind - from memory I think the vast majority that came my way were Sheffield ground - but yours looks just as good from what I can tell.

Kropp are good quality razors - I've honed and restored quite a few and have always been impressed by the quality of the grind in terms of consistency. Yours is Hamburg grind - from memory I think the vast majority that came my way were Sheffield ground - but yours looks just as good from what I can tell.
Aye..You're spot On Rob..A lot of them were Ground in Sheffield..:p

Billy

I'm a big fan of Kropp razors myself and you got a fine looking one there. If anyone one has a 8/8 let me know I have 4/8 to 7/8 and would like to complete the set.

Greetings

Wasn't it the case that Kropps were ground in Germany until that period when we had a slight 'falling out' with our German cousins?

Regards
Dick.
No Dick, the ones ground in Sheffield or Hamburg appear to be random - at least that's my recollection from a very detailed analysis that was discussed some time ago. It might be worth digging that old thread up because Neil Miller made a couple of contributions.

No Dick, the ones ground in Sheffield or Hamburg appear to be random - at least that's my recollection from a very detailed analysis that was discussed some time ago. It might be worth digging that old thread up because Neil Miller made a couple of contributions.
Aye that's Right Rob..I done some Research on them & that appears to be the Case..:)

Billy

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

The other Day I pressed the button on this Shave Ready Friedrick Herder 6/8th Made in Solingen Germany in the Late 1800 s..This Company has an interesting History in that they were making Battle Swords During the 30 Year Reformation War In Europe ..I have heard it said that these Old Herders take a Keen Edge & just Couldn't resist this Beautiful Piece of German Steel..I got it from a Reputable EBay Seller in Sweden that Imports SRs from Japan at what I think was a Reasonable Price.:p

I am Chappin at the Boot to get this Auld German Job in my Hand..:D

Billy

That's a smasher Billy - no hone wear and everything looks to be tip top order. I saw it earlier and thought exactly the same as efsk - not quite as old, the grind and scales tell you that. When I first saw it I assumed it was one of those Japanese razors from the 40s to 60s that keep popping up - but obviously not.

That's a smasher Billy - no hone wear and everything looks to be tip top order. I saw it earlier and thought exactly the same as efsk - not quite as old, the grind and scales tell you that. When I first saw it I assumed it was one of those Japanese razors from the 40s to 60s that keep popping up - but obviously not.
Cheers Rob..Its an Old Bugger for Sure..I will look around for some more Definitive Intel..That same Swedish Seller has a lot of Stonkin Razors..Over 95% of them have been Imported from Japan & this One probably came from there as Well..His prices are very Reasonable for the Condition of his Razors..I just about Peed myself when I saw this One to be Honest..:p:D:p

Billy

Back
Top Bottom