Newbie with need of help

Hi all,
Wife gave me bamboo safety razor, badger brush, bowl and sandalwood cream for Christmas.
Amazingly close shave and love the feel of it, I know this is only my second shave with it but I'm finding under the chin and round the neck a bit of a job.
Especially as I have a rather strange growth of facial hair on my right side, I was blinded by an accident in my right eye when I was a young man and had to use steroid drops in my eye, if no one was home I would try myself to put them in but would often miss and I would rub it dry on my face.
This however resulted in the hair on my right side growing thicker and more coarse.
If I'm honest though on my neck on both sides looks like I've had a fight with Edward Scissor hands any tips gratefully received.

Hi and welcome to TSR!

You're on the road to great shaves and don't worry about your sight. As your technique improves, muscle memory, sound and physical feedback will tell you everything you need to know.

Speaking of technique, there's no shortcut and you'll just need to keep practicing but it will get easier and your shaves will improve. With regards to your hair growth, try mapping it (Google beard mapping). This will help you plan the correct directions in which to shave - againdont worries, this will become natural.

Practice practice practice.

Hi and welcome to TSR!

You're on the road to great shaves and don't worry about your sight. As your technique improves, muscle memory, sound and physical feedback will tell you everything you need to know.

Speaking of technique, there's no shortcut and you'll just need to keep practicing but it will get easier and your shaves will improve. With regards to your hair growth, try mapping it (Google beard mapping). This will help you plan the correct directions in which to shave - againdont worries, this will become natural.

Practice practice practice.
Thanks, I thought it might be a lot of practice but the fresh feel and clean shave I'm definitely going to keep going with it.

Thanks, I thought it might be a lot of practice but the fresh feel and clean shave I'm definitely going to keep going with it.
I forgot the most important bit of advice - shame on me! No pressure - don't use any pressure with a safety razor. Let the weight of the razor do the work. If you've come from cartridges, it will be instinctive to apply pressure. This is where most irritation comes from.

Last edited:
Welcome to the nut house and get ready to spend lots of cash as you take a trip down the rabbit hole of Shaving :ROFLMAO: .
I am fairly new myself and my advice is slowly slowly catchy monkey, take your time and DO NOT rush, enjoy the shave and to reiterate what has already been said before no pressure on the skin as a stinging Alum block on the gash will teach you that lesson quick enough. lol

:Dwelcome........stick with what you have at present. replacing blades as they dull with the same blades, ie astra green with astra green , learn a baseline & learn to use what soap ,brush, razor . you have ,it,s called the "30 day rule" ......... watch a you tube video on " face mapping " fancy term for how & what direction your stubble grows ....... there is so mutch choice in soaps,blades, razors,brush,s it can be overwhelming . finally , enjoy the satisfaction of been enviromentally friendly & sticking it to a multi national corporation

Hi all,
Wife gave me bamboo safety razor, badger brush, bowl and sandalwood cream for Christmas.
Amazingly close shave and love the feel of it, I know this is only my second shave with it but I'm finding under the chin and round the neck a bit of a job.
Especially as I have a rather strange growth of facial hair on my right side, I was blinded by an accident in my right eye when I was a young man and had to use steroid drops in my eye, if no one was home I would try myself to put them in but would often miss and I would rub it dry on my face.
This however resulted in the hair on my right side growing thicker and more coarse.
If I'm honest though on my neck on both sides looks like I've had a fight with Edward Scissor hands any tips gratefully received.
I'd say try a variety of blades as well, that way you soon have the ideal set up ( unless you become addicted like some of us and like 'variety'). What blades did you get? If your in the UK and want some free samples so you get to know what you like let me know and I'll send you some to try. They are cheaper than cartridges but as its Xmas and we are a friendly bunch.....

:Dwelcome........stick with what you have at present. replacing blades as they dull with the same blades, ie astra green with astra green , learn a baseline & learn to use what soap ,brush, razor . you have ,it,s called the "30 day rule" ......... watch a you tube video on " face mapping " fancy term for how & what direction your stubble grows ....... there is so mutch choice in soaps,blades, razors,brush,s it can be overwhelming . finally , enjoy the satisfaction of been enviromentally friendly & sticking it to a multi national corporation

I'd also say dont try for the best shave possible on the first pass. Take your time and factor in two or three passes...... it will get better over time.

I'd say try a variety of blades as well, that way you soon have the ideal set up ( unless you become addicted like some of us and like 'variety'). What blades did you get? If your in the UK and want some free samples so you get to know what you like let me know and I'll send you some to try. They are cheaper than cartridges but as its Xmas and we are a friendly bunch.....
Hi and thanks everyone for the advice, the blades I have are Derby blades, but I've sent for a sample pack to try a few different ones.
I've only shaved twice with it but wow what a great feeling of freshness and clean.
I've watched a few videos on YouTube and my second shave was better.
Still chopped my neck up a bit but only little nicks, practice practice practice.

Hi,
I got some Derby blades, but I have sent for a sample pack to try some different ones.

Hi and thanks everyone for the advice, the blades I have are Derby blades, but I've sent for a sample pack to try a few different ones.
I've only shaved twice with it but wow what a great feeling of freshness and clean.
I've watched a few videos on YouTube and my second shave was better.
Still chopped my neck up a bit but only little nicks, practice practice practice.
Good to hear! Just take your time and use short strokes. Once you try a variety of blades you'll soon get the ones that suit you best.

Back
Top Bottom