Newbie seeking advices

I currently use a Feather AS-D2, nice and smooth, but maybe too smooth.

While "mild" looks like to be the best choice to start with, I do experience problems as not feeling the blade, I tend to put too much pressure on the razor. I am currently testing shims (2 blades) giving a bit more of exposure and so some aggressiveness. I do feel better feeling the blade on my skin and got better shave with less irritation, especially on the neck.
I have a set of blades to experience with, currently on Astra Superior Stainless, and improving my technique everyday.

Is it that I just prefer more agressive razors?
What about the Rockwell 6S? There's a nice new set with the 3 plates on sale locally. It would help me trying different aggressiveness ?

While "mild" looks like to be the best choice to start with, I do experience problems as not feeling the blade, I tend to put too much pressure on the razor. I am currently testing shims (2 blades) giving a bit more of exposure and so some aggressiveness. I do feel better feeling the blade on my skin and got better shave with less irritation, especially on the neck.
I have a set of blades to experience with, currently on Astra Superior Stainless, and improving my technique everyday.

What about the Rockwell 6S? There's a nice new set with the 3 plates on sale locally. It would help me trying different aggressiveness ?
It's Basically all down to your technique.
The asd2 is one of the best razors on the market. i done a lot of reading up/ research before i bought mine. i do agree with you it's a mild razor however with perseverance you'll have a great shave.
I personally wouldn't alter the razor using shims why not buy a cheapo and you'll feel the difference.
Take your time.
Iv only been DE shaving 6 months possibly a bit more and i'm just starting to get my technique right.
Iv also just bought the Rex Ambassador but at the moment it's just a bit to aggressive for me but next month i will be rotating them as i feel iv now mastered the feather

Angle and touch can make a big difference but it takes a bit of practice to get a feel for that. Not too long though.

What soap are you using? A nice slick lather helps reduce irritation. Arko & Tabac are solid performers & very easy to lather.

Welcome to the forum. Rest assured you have one of the best DE razors on the market. Familiarity with this razor will give huge results; it is also a system razor in that it is designed to work best with Feather blades - it makes a real difference. Feather blades in an ASD2 are efficient, smooth and comfortable no other blades compare in the ASD2 if you use it correctly. The ASD2 has a longer learning curve than most other razors, but as others have said the rewards are worth it, and your skin will thank you. Yes the razor is mild but it is also efficient once you find and maintain the correct angle. A mid aggressive razor such as a Rocca will give you immediate results, but as much as I love the Rocca, the ASD2 is the better razor. That said, you may find the ASD2 does not suit you or your technique - but I would consider perservering for a while before making a decision, or put the ASD2 to one side and use another razor and then come back to the ASD2. In any event, check out the video's below for some tips...

Last edited:
Hello there!, and welcome to TSR.

Whatever the razor you shave with it'll takes a few shaves to adjust. Technique & shaving confidence,and finding soap or cream that is suited to your skin type, are the key to good shaving results.

My humble advice to you is 'Shave the lather from your face,rather than the stubble'! this will help you to tell yourself to let the weight of the razor & blade do the work with virtually no pressure when shaving.

I always apply this method when shaving with all my razors ' aggressive or non-aggressive. '..Any razor can be aggressive if not treated with respect of the person that is using it...'A bad worker always blames his tools'

Last but not least, don't expect too much too soon.!.Go for comfortable irritation free shaves, don't go for BBS shaves..Go for enjoyable ones that cause you no irritation or discomfort...Enjoy your shaves.

Regards. B (y)

Last edited:
Thanks for videos, much informative.
I have a set of Feather blade that I still have to try, though from what I've read, it is better to start with less sharp ones first. I have a sample set of blades so I will continue to use them for a while before switching.
I use "Secrets de Provence" soap I purchase from my local organic shop (I only use organic cosmetics) which seems OK.

Hello there!, and welcome to TSR.

Whatever the razor you shave with it'll takes a few shaves to adjust. Technique & shaving confidence,and finding soap or cream that is suited to your skin type, are the key to good shaving results.

My humble advice to you is 'Shave the lather from your face,rather than the stubble'! this will help you to tell yourself to let the weight of the razor & blade do the work with virtually no pressure when shaving.

I always apply this method when shaving with all my razors ' aggressive or non-aggressive. '..Any razor can be aggressive if not treated with respect of the person that is using it...'A bad worker always blames his tools'

Last but not least, don't expect too much too soon.!.Go for comfortable irritation free shaves, don't go for BBS shaves..Go for enjoyable ones that cause you no irritation or discomfort...Enjoy your shaves.

Regards. B (y)

'Shave the lather from your face, rather than.the stubble'. I've been shaving with a Safety razor for years (although not claiming to be an expert) and you've just given me a eureka moment. Just shows your never too old to learn!! Thanks Parmolive.

To echo the good advice here, the sensible thing is to persevere with your AS-D2. Not many of us apply sense when buying things though (I'm particularly guilty of this).

If you're adamant that you want a new razor, you can do a lot worse than the 6S. I only have experience of the 6C but that's a good razor and I've only ever read positive feedback on the 6S.

Be patient. You have a fine razor, and as was mentioned, go with the system.

Another thing to consider, you, your face, the water, and everything else changes. Try to eliminate as many variables as you can, then you can make an informed decision.

I bought my first DE at the beginning of August. I was amazed how good a shave this "old fashioned" technology could give. And just think of the money I'll save!

Fast forward a couple of months and I have four different kinds of shaving soap, at least half a dozen different types of razor blade, a shavette, two traditional straight razors and some brush knots in the post from a speciality supplier in Canada. And of course a bunch of stropping/honing equipment to maintain the straights.

But just think of the money I'll save...

You may have seen in another thread, I just purchased a nice 1934 Gillette New, open comb.
Got my first shave with it this morning (using a Rapira Platinium) and I must say the result is quite good. 3 passes and a BBS. Even my neck has been cleaned quite nicely (this is a sensitive area and I usually don't do too much to avoid skin irritation).
The razor is very efficient and I was expecting to be more agressive than it actually is. The blade can be felt clearly and one has to be careful (one or two nicks this morning !).
Cool razor and a beautiful piece.

New 1934 1.jpg

I've the ATT M1 which is considered mild and I suspect it is similar to the Feather. It gives a very close shave. It tells me when cutting due to so called audible feedback.
Ì use GSB blades, but lately am using feather blades which are excellent in this razor, and probably the Feather.

I've shaved a few times already with the Gillette. This little thing is agressive indeed, but I managed to get out without cuts or nicks. Very close shave already at the 2nd pass. I got some slight razor burn in the neck, but I have to try my newly acquired Martin de Candre soap that may improve things

Back
Top Bottom