Newbie DE shaver

Hey guys!

27 year old here, making a move from cartridge kit to DE razors. Not sure how it started out really - until a while ago I have only used a cartridge razors , however a year ago I've purchased a Wilkinson sword DE razor kit around Christmas time 2019 ... And it was laying around unopened until couple months ago, where I just started using soap and brush from it, instead of gel... At this time started going through forums and reading up about DE shaving - at that time I also bought mystery box from shaving shack, and the whole process basically created quite a bit of temptation for me to start with DE shaving.

In next couple of days , it'll be my first shave with DE razor - and looking for recommendations on what combination to use , from de razors currently I have Wilkinson sword (from the kit) and solimo (Amazon own brand that came with 100 blades -rewievs seemed to be decent). Also got myself some blade samples, pics included.

If I do get on with it, it definitely will be time to make new purchases ... My wallet probably won't like that haha!

So yeah, hello everyone!

IMG-20210122-164449.jpg
IMG-20210122-163709.jpg
IMG-20210122-163449.jpg

IMG-20210122-163046.jpg

Ahhhh, @Scorpio93 , I was once like you. Starting out on the journey to enlightenment with a sensibly planned, reasonably priced setup of a couple items. And then the bug hit and new stuff was arriving every day. I remember it like it was last month. Oh yeah, it was last month :oops: Well done on getting your first couple of hundred blades purchased. Strangely it's seems to get easier to justify buying new ones as the pile gets bigger I find. And a double well done on having the styptic pencil on standby. You will need to call on it at some point! Have fun, enjoy and take advantage of the help and advice on here. Just watch out for the enablers lurking in the shadows with their helpful hints of where to pick up those bargains you never knew you needed ;)

Hey guys!

27 year old here, making a move from cartridge kit to DE razors. Not sure how it started out really - until a while ago I have only used a cartridge razors , however a year ago I've purchased a Wilkinson sword DE razor kit around Christmas time 2019 ... And it was laying around unopened until couple months ago, where I just started using soap and brush from it, instead of gel... At this time started going through forums and reading up about DE shaving - at that time I also bought mystery box from shaving shack, and the whole process basically created quite a bit of temptation for me to start with DE shaving.

In next couple of days , it'll be my first shave with DE razor - and looking for recommendations on what combination to use , from de razors currently I have Wilkinson sword (from the kit) and solimo (Amazon own brand that came with 100 blades -rewievs seemed to be decent). Also got myself some blade samples, pics included.

If I do get on with it, it definitely will be time to make new purchases ... My wallet probably won't like that haha!

So yeah, hello everyone!

IMG-20210122-164449.jpg
IMG-20210122-163709.jpg
IMG-20210122-163449.jpg

IMG-20210122-163046.jpg
Hello and welcome, there are no magic combination's I can tell you about because all of our skin and hair type/ growth is different so go with what you have and follow a few basic rules , a good lather is needed, don't try and take all your stubble off in one pass and very important, don't use any pressure on your razor, let the weight of the razor do most of the work.
Take your time and enjoy your shave.
It will take a short while but you will soon find out what's good for you.
There is a wealth of experience and knowledge here so tap into it . :)

Paul.

Welcome to the forum @Scorpio93 you have all you need to get started.
As Paul @Blademonkey said, good lather, not foamy but slick and creamy, no pressure on the razor, stubble reduction is the aim when you start, don't chase a BBS finish.
The main thing is to take your time and enjoy the "me" time.
They are a great helpful bunch on here.
The rabbit hole awaits ;)
T

Thanks for warm welcome everyone! All the tips are kindly noted, might start off with persona blade and go from there ! Already going down rabbit hole... Planning on getting the blackbird in near future... Love the look of it! Probably will go for option with both safety bar and open comb base plates ... And as read before on here, will definitely be getting some sandalwood soaps/creams since I love the smell of sandalwood !

I was stalking around the forum reading quite a few articles, it's brilliant, goldmine of knowledge in here it seems!

And here we go, first wet shave done!

Quite enjoyed it, however being extra careful not to slice my face up built up a bit of tensions! Overall went well, done two pass - wasn't perfect , still got a tiniest bit of stubble that can be felt when going against the grain with hand (pretty much same result that I'd get with the cartridge razor) so all in all quite happy!

There was a bit of tugging in places however that's definitely due to my technique, trying to get the right angle in places, confidence of movement etc.

Exfoliated the face , used bluebeards revenge preshave oil, lathered up with Wilkinson sword soap + brush, and for after used alum block and Nivea aftershave!
Decided to use the Wilkinson sword razor with personna blade.

All in all, I'd say I'm hooked! Just definitely need to get some better brush... I think the purchase list will be growing very quickly haha

Quite enjoyed it, however being extra careful not to slice my face up built up a bit of tensions! Overall went well, done two pass - wasn't perfect , still got a tiniest bit of stubble that can be felt when going against the grain with hand (pretty much same result that I'd get with the cartridge razor) so all in all quite happy!

There was a bit of tugging in places however that's definitely due to my technique, trying to get the right angle in places, confidence of movement etc.

Exfoliated the face , used bluebeards revenge preshave oil, lathered up with Wilkinson sword soap + brush, and for after used alum block and Nivea aftershave!

All in all, I'd say I'm hooked! Just definitely need to get some better brush... I think the purchase list will be growing very quickly haha
Sounds like a pretty good start, the more you practice the more you will relax and in doing so you will get a better shave.
Well done, onwards and upwards! :)

Paul.

The soap is OK..... My wife likes it to do her legs :rolleyes:.
You may find a better soap gives you a smoother shave. Somthing like Tobs or why not try an arko or palmolive stick.
And in regards to brushes you can't beat a Yaqi for synthetic.
Or if you want a boar, I just recently purchased an Omega 10065 (yellow) from connaught shaving... Excellent brush for less than a £5. And they ship extremely quickly.

Welcome! I'm just starting out too and have enjoyed using the Wilkinson Sword soap and face lathering so far. There are some great recommendations in the newbie section like the mantic59 videos and I found the face lathering tutorial by Michael Freedberg on YouTube really useful.

How did you find the alum block? I've just ordered one and have to admit that I'm a touch scared :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom