New shaver acquisition disorders....?

I suppose I'm starting this thread to hopefully find out I'm not alone, or I'll be taking a long hard look at myself whilst shaving in the mirror!

I've been DE shaving for just over 4 months now. Every week I seem to get a little excited and add something to my growing collection. In this 4 months I've accumulated 25 razors (new and vintage), >1500 blades, 11 brushes, 28 creams and soaps and 13 ASL/ASs.

Those of you that read my welcome post will notice the growth again in the space of a month. I'm barely 1/5 of the way through sampling all of this.

Is this normal? Please tell me you've all done this (at some point). Examples of collections that exceed this will help me sleep better at night!! [emoji23]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I too confess that i go through bouts of having severe ,Compulsive buying disorder / AD Acquisition Disorder,which i had to curb as i was buying for buying sake, and like everyone else lived in denile that i needed it and couldn't do without it.. Last year it came to a stop!..after a ruthless den cleanout i was left with only shaving assortments i used and appreciated, when i'm 'Window Shopping'now and get the urge to buy i think do i really need it?, the answer is normally no so i don't buy.However only occasionally, to tame my urges i buy something but it has to be justified ,recently as a treat to myself i've bought some new shaving soap & as a Special pre-birthday present to myself A vintage Valet Auto strop razor, both i didn't really need, but i can honestly vouch to you and say i won't buy anymore shaving items for the rest of the year, purely because i simply don't need any more..'My humble advice is 'YOU'VE GOT WHAT YOU NEED,NOT WHAT YOU WANT',,Everything you need for a good shave is at your hands, 'appreciate what you have' ,don't try to keep up with the 'Shaving jones' of this world, and most of all start controlling those buying urges..and spend your hard earned money on something that you really need.
Good Luck.
Regards. B(y)

Last edited:
I suppose I'm starting this thread to hopefully find out I'm not alone, or I'll be taking a long hard look at myself whilst shaving in the mirror!

I've been DE shaving for just over 4 months now. Every week I seem to get a little excited and add something to my growing collection. In this 4 months I've accumulated 25 razors (new and vintage), >1500 blades, 11 brushes, 28 creams and soaps and 13 ASL/ASs.

Those of you that read my welcome post will notice the growth again in the space of a month. I'm barely 1/5 of the way through sampling all of this.

Is this normal? Please tell me you've all done this (at some point). Examples of collections that exceed this will help me sleep better at night!! [emoji23]

I don't think you have a problem, if buying the shaving gear makes you happy then it's a solution.

Just out of curiousity what comprises your blade collection? 1500 is a decent collection.

I too confess that i go through bouts of having severe ,Compulsive buying disorder / AD Acquisition Disorder,which i had to curb as i was buying for buying sake, and like everyone else lived in denile that i needed it and couldn't do without it.. Last year it came to a stop!..after a ruthless den cleanout i was left with only shaving assortments i used and appreciated, when i'm 'Window Shopping'now and get the urge to buy i think do i really need it?, the answer is normally no so i don't buy.However very occasionally, to tame my urges i buy something but it has to be justified ,recently as a treat to myself i've bought some new shaving soap & as a Special pre-birthday present to myself A vintage Valet Auto strop razor, both i didn't really need, but i can honestly vouch to you and say i won't buy anymore shaving items for the rest of the year, purely because i simply don't need any more..'My humble advice is 'YOU'VE GOT WHAT YOU NEED,NOT WHAT YOU WANT',,Everything you need for a good shave is at your hands, 'appreciate what you have' ,don't try to keep up with the 'Shaving jones' of this world, and most of all start controlling those buying urges..and spend your hard earned money on something that you really need.
Good Luck.
Regards. B(y)
You speak a lot of sense there. I'm terrible for impulse purchasing!

I don't think you have a problem, if buying the shaving gear makes you happy then it's a solution.

Just out of curiousity what comprises your blade collection? 1500 is a decent collection.

Being a bit of a saddo, I run a spreadsheet of my shaving supplies. These are most of my blades:

I've also got a few loose packs of Rockwell and Treet blades. The blades marked in green are those I've tried. Of that list, I've enjoyed all the blades I've tried. You may ask why I buy blades in bulk that I've not tried - it's because the per-blade cost is so much lower.

That's how I was hoping to feel but it's not going that way for me :LOL:. If I used each of those blades above, based on me shaving every other day, I have sufficient stock for over 16 years of shaving!
If you feel the need to add to the blade collection shavingstation.co.uk has 25% off blades :cool:

Being a bit of a saddo, I run a spreadsheet of my shaving supplies. These are most of my blades:

View attachment 43249

I've also got a few loose packs of Rockwell and Treet blades. The blades marked in green are those I've tried. Of that list, I've enjoyed all the blades I've tried. You may ask why I buy blades in bulk that I've not tried - it's because the per-blade cost is so much lower.

That's a truly exceptional spreadsheet! I also have one for the blades I have bought and used. I have another for soaps as well.

Yeah I know what you mean about blade prices being cheaper for bulk buys. Sometimes on ebay it seems it's £3 for a pack of 5 blades, or £6 for a pack of 200. Prices like are a challenge to refuse, as who doesn't need more blades?

That's a truly exceptional spreadsheet! I also have one for the blades I have bought and used. I have another for soaps as well.

Yeah I know what you mean about blade prices being cheaper for bulk buys. Sometimes on ebay it seems it's £3 for a pack of 5 blades, or £6 for a pack of 200. Prices like are a challenge to refuse, as who doesn't need more blades?
Exactly! The Lord Platinums were a good example of that. ~£2 delivered for 5 or £7.99 for 100.

I've been de shaving half as long as you and have half as many razors. I've only got cheap soaps though and two brushes with another on the way.

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom