New Member saying Hi from Miami

Hello guys, Just wanted to say Hi. New member to this forum.

I've been wet shaving for nearly a month now. In love with this amazing hobby but really hate the suffering from those razor burns and ingrown hairs. I've never shaved before. Have always used electric razor to trim the beard.

My kit:
  • merkur 34c
  • TOBS for sensitive skin
  • preshave proraso white
  • alum block
  • postshave Nivea balm for sensitive skin
  • Brush: Bevel badger brush

90ec5a2d19cc3d920ae03fc244238387.jpg

Blades I've used for now are astra sp, derby's extra, bevel. Waiting on a sample pack to try other blades.

Also waiting on a vintage Gillette tech and a fatip grande!

I do have a question. I shaved yesterday to try and get a DFS. I feel my facial hair grows pretty fast and don't know if I should shave again today or wait for tomorrow? Just interested to see if you guys would shave having my facial hair the way it is now? Attached a picture of my face now.

43e783794922e4054b23f4c8fe64e5b8.jpg

Thanks!

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome,
Glad you are enjoying your new hobby.
I started shaving about 10 months ago can't exactly remember when, but a razor collection quickly grew I have 6 at the moment and 5 brushes.... And a wife who is understanding but her patience is wearing thin... Lol.
I used to get razor burn a lot when I first started shaving. But in time it kinda calmed down I don't get it so much unless I use a really aggressive razor & blade combo.
A few things you could try that helped me.
  1. Give the Pre shave a good few minutes to do it's job and soak in. (maybe use the time to do your hair or brush your teeth etc)
  2. Let the weight of the razor do its work, don't drag it down/across you face.
  3. Give your beard a couple of days to work out the grain pattern. Then you can work out which way would be ATG (maybe avoid shaving that way if possible for you.)
  4. After the final pass, use cold water to rinse your face.
  5. Immediately after shaving/rinsing, try using some kind of Whitch Hazel formula (a lot recommend Thayers, never tried that brand myself.) and rub that all over the shaved area. (this really helped me over the first few months)

Sorry if this isn't any help or if it's info you already know.
Happy shaving.

Welcome,
Glad you are enjoying your new hobby.
I started shaving about 10 months ago can't exactly remember when, but a razor collection quickly grew I have 6 at the moment and 5 brushes.... And a wife who is understanding but her patience is wearing thin... Lol.
I used to get razor burn a lot when I first started shaving. But in time it kinda calmed down I don't get it so much unless I use a really aggressive razor & blade combo.
A few things you could try that helped me.
  1. Give the Pre shave a good few minutes to do it's job and soak in. (maybe use the time to do your hair or brush your teeth etc)
  2. Let the weight of the razor do its work, don't drag it down/across you face.
  3. Give your beard a couple of days to work out the grain pattern. Then you can work out which way would be ATG (maybe avoid shaving that way if possible for you.)
  4. After the final pass, use cold water to rinse your face.
  5. Immediately after shaving/rinsing, try using some kind of Whitch Hazel formula (a lot recommend Thayers, never tried that brand myself.) and rub that all over the shaved area. (this really helped me over the first few months)

Sorry if this isn't any help or if it's info you already know.
Happy shaving.

Thanks for the tips CjH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Paul
Welcome to the fantastic world of proper shaving, I too have just started (approx 6 month) wet shaving and now look forward to every shave. You will find a wealth of information on this site, as these guys certainly know their stuff. I can also relate to CjH in that it will take over the bathroom cabinet in a few months, I now have 7 razors umpteen Yaqi brushes and loads of soaps and aftershaves. Hopefully stick with it as I am sure you will never go back to the electric razor. Keep trying different methods as you will get better with every shave and most of all enjoy the piece and quiet whilst you are in the bathroom :):) lol...

Back
Top Bottom