New guy sick of razor burn

Hello all

26yo from Scotland here. Been sporting beard-trimmer length stubble for the last few years but recently decided to start clean shaving since I have a 'real' job. Tried a Phillips aqua touch electric razor and it razor burned my whole face and neck. Expensive and painful mistake number 1!

I went for some Gillette cartridge razors with gel from a can out of Aldi, which were better, but still burned me around my Adams apple and neck, and the blades are pretty expensive.

It seems I may have stumbled on to the answer here with safety razors. In the hopes of avoiding expensive mistake number 3, a boar brush, fatip classic and some blades and soap are staring at me in my cart at the moment.

Cheers all, looking forward to becoming a part of the forum

Welcome first of all.

So.... Here's the thing. Everyone has a different face and skin and whisker thickness and whisker growing direction and the list goes on. I've been using a DE razor now for.... Coming up to about 4 years.

You can be introduced to all sorts of different razors, soaps, creams, balms, aftershaves, blades (again the list goes on)
The best thing to do is buy a mild razor and a few different types of blades... You can find them in sample packs on different websites and ebay. Find a couple of blades you like...
Then try a different razor...
Try a different soap.

Eventually you will find one you really like. And some you will never want to touch again with a bargepole.

This forum is very informative and the members are friendly and helpful.
You could even try getting in on the PIF (Pay it forward) that is happening at the moment. A great chance to try some blades and a razor as a gift.

Personally I enjoy the Astra green blade in a gillette slim adjustable on setting 4. Gives me a lovely shave and never any irritation.

All the best in your shaving exploration.

Thanks guys.
@CjH thank you. It really is quite overwhelming! There is a lot to choose from, but, you've got to start somewhere as you say.

I saw that post, a very kind gent but I think I'll leave that for someone less fortunate than I - i am about to pull the trigger on a DE and a blade sample pack - including astra green as you suggested. They should arrive just in time for this lovely rash to disappear

Thanks guys.
@CjH thank you. It really is quite overwhelming! There is a lot to choose from, but, you've got to start somewhere as you say.

I saw that post, a very kind gent but I think I'll leave that for someone less fortunate than I - i am about to pull the trigger on a DE and a blade sample pack - including astra green as you suggested. They should arrive just in time for this lovely rash to disappear
Did you go for the Fatip? Or something else?

Welcome :)

I'm a big fan of the Fatip open comb. It seems to clamp the blade down nice and tight, giving a very smooth shave.

Check the blade alignment carefully when you fit your first blade. It might need to be adjusted a little. It's a known problem with Fatip.

When I first tried a DE razor, I couldn't believe how close it could get. A full, three-pass shave (once with the grain, once across the grain, once against the grain) on the night before will get me through the next day with no rushing around in the morning :)

Mate can i just say you might never get rid of razor burn
some don't
it could possibly be something you need to live with but DE shaving will certainly help you in terms of
Mild Razors, Mild soaps etc etc,
Some ingredients might just be to much for you.
I got a colleague in to DE a good few months ago & the first thing i gave him was Castle Forbes Lime Cream and that was him sold on whole wet shaving thing, Then i gave him a few different samples of Ariana & Evans and his face was on fire.
Different soaps & Razors for different people.
i hope you find your combo quick before it empties your wallet lol

Hello all

26yo from Scotland here. Been sporting beard-trimmer length stubble for the last few years but recently decided to start clean shaving since I have a 'real' job. Tried a Phillips aqua touch electric razor and it razor burned my whole face and neck. Expensive and painful mistake number 1!

I went for some Gillette cartridge razors with gel from a can out of Aldi, which were better, but still burned me around my Adams apple and neck, and the blades are pretty expensive.

It seems I may have stumbled on to the answer here with safety razors. In the hopes of avoiding expensive mistake number 3, a boar brush, fatip classic and some blades and soap are staring at me in my cart at the moment.

Cheers all, looking forward to becoming a part of the forum
Hi and welcome, if only I'd have found this site all those years ago.... mind you I probably wouldnt have had any money left to buy a house.... get in touch in we can assist and let us know how you get on.

Back
Top Bottom