Need Help, Wilkinson Sword Blades ?

Right guys, i am confused about the different types of Wilks we have here in the UK, please help me out.....

I did post this on B&B but our Friends Acroos the pond are not sure, asi imagine the blades they get are different.....

We have These available in most Private Pharmacies:
[attachment=2]

Then There are these that are in most high Street Chains:
[attachment=1]

Then there are these that are available online:
[attachment=0]

Which ones are the best, and are any of these actually made in the UK ?

:D :D

The two "Classics" - definitely not - they're German

The pillar pack you have to look closely - it will say "Made in the United Kingdom" on the left side as you look at it with the dispensing hole towards you. If they're German ones that look very similar in the pillar, it'll have the Solingen address on the package.

The UK factory (Cramlington) closed in 2000 so the stocks are dwindling - it's amazing there are any still out there actually.

hunnymonster said:
The two "Classics" - definitely not - they're German

The pillar pack you have to look closely - it will say "Made in the United Kingdom" on the left side as you look at it with the dispensing hole towards you. If they're German ones that look very similar in the pillar, it'll have the Solingen address on the package.

The UK factory (Cramlington) closed in 2000 so the stocks are dwindling - it's amazing there are any still out there actually.

Thanks Mate,

im off work today so gonna hit the Local Pharmacies to see what they have, i have about 140 Gillette Swedes, 200 Gillette Extra Bleue, and Gillette Silver Blue (Russians not Czech though) im trying to stock up on the Better Quality Blades while they are around.

Are the German Wilks in the Pillar Pack good, or would you go for the UK ones if they are still around ?

Steve

Re the top ones - which are still available at independent chemists.

If the packs have been removed from the pillar pack then the easy way of telling is:

If the Gold '5' is above the writing they are UK-made - if it is below they are German made.

Go for UK if you can find them, German at a push but avoid the 'classic' ones as they're no better than Merkurs.

joe mcclaine said:
Re the top ones - which are still available at independent chemists.

If the packs have been removed from the pillar pack then the easy way of telling is:

If the Gold '5' is above the writing they are UK-made - if it is below they are German made.

Go for UK if you can find them, German at a push but avoid the 'classic' ones as they're no better than Merkurs.

Cheers Fella,

Right i'm off hunting for em......

:twisted:

I checked my local pharmacy and they have 12 packs of these UK blades with the gold 5 above the writing, they also have part of the piullar pack and putting this together I am 99.9% sure they are UK ones. The lady in the prarmacy "thought" they they were £1.20 each but was not sure. I know the owner very well and am sure he will bend on price to take them off his hands.

What is a good proce for these packs?

Audiolab said:
I checked my local pharmacy and they have 12 packs of these UK blades with the gold 5 above the writing, they also have part of the piullar pack and putting this together I am 99.9% sure they are UK ones. The lady in the prarmacy "thought" they they were £1.20 each but was not sure. I know the owner very well and am sure he will bend on price to take them off his hands.

What is a good proce for these packs?

I was paying 75p for them a year ago but I would probably buy them for £1.20 but I reckon he'd sell them for £1 a pop.

hunnymonster said:
The "going" rate is 70-80p - I've had them for 55p buying 200 though lol

I found a pillar pack of the NOS UK blades at a small pharmacy. He charged me £15 for it (75p a pack) and wouldn't discount even though I bought the lot. It's still a reasonable price, they are much better than the German made variety.

Thanks, I will buy a pack on the way home and try them, they aren’t going anywhere fast.

Seems they keep them under the counter and they do not advertise anywhere so you do need to ask if they have them. When I asked for them the first girl said "What’s a double edge razor? I think we have 5 edge razors..." luckily one of the other staff overheard the conversation and butted in so thanks to her for that. You really can't replace the old chemist with their encyclopaedic knowledge, I prefer them to doctors. I will go back when I see his car there.

I agree they would probably let them go for £1 a pop, they would probably be glad to get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom