Midori-Nichi

I have been a Journaler for many years and I have started, but never finished a full journal. For me it comes in spirts and spats, days when I could write for ever and days when I can't even think of anything.

After reading @Darkbulb's review of the Hobonichi I decided to finish the year by journaling and start the new year with a new journal. After doing loads of research it boiled down to the Midori Travelers Notebook. I did a review on it here called Customisation That Just Works. I love the Midori because of the customisation. However, sometimes customisation is a bad thing as it can be continuous adaptation to a system that works perfectly fine.

I hummed and hawed over the Hobonichi and then started doing the research. It amazed me how many women use it and appear to spend loads of time adding their wee bits of Washi tape, stickers, stamps to name but a few. But a funny thing occurred, it was actually inspiring. Not that I am going to buy stamps and Washi tape. But drawing I enjoy, writing I enjoy, so I decided to bite the bullet and get one.

IMG_20161125_215820-01.jpeg

IMG_20161125_215959-01.jpeg

It came as is, but I like the style of the Midori with the leather wrap. There is a chap in Cananda that sells the hobonichi leather wraps for a price and then the import tax would send it sky rocket, so I jumped on to ETSY and found a leather maker who made leather wraps.
IMG_20161125_204118-01.jpeg

IMG_20161125_204419-01.jpeg

I must admit I am not one for initials in handkerchiefs in any shape or form, but for this I thought I would give it a bash as it was free of charge.
IMG_20161125_204246-01.jpeg

Going back to the Midori, I purchased a repair kit for it, and then I had a thought. Why not style the Hobonichi similar to the Midori, so I did.
IMG_20161125_215150-01.jpeg

Only problem I have now, is I have to wait till 1st January 2017 to make a start on it. The Midori is fantastic and I still really like as it is part of my EDC. Albeit it is a bit bulky, but it will always have a place in the bag for swapping and changing things about. This Hobonichi has some of the finest paper I have written on to date, and I can't wait to get started on it.

Last edited:
I have been a Journaler for many years and I have started, but never finished a full journal. For me it comes in spirts and spats, days when I could write for ever and days when I can't even think of anything.

After reading @Darkbulb's review of the Hobonichi I decided to finish the year by journaling and start the new year with a new journal. After doing loads of research it boiled down to the Midori Travelers Notebook. I did a review on it here called Customisation That Just Works. I love the Midori because of the customisation. However, sometimes customisation is a bad thing as it can be continuous adaptation to a system that works perfectly fine.

I hummed and hawed over the Hobonichi and then started doing the research. It amazed me how many women use it and appear to spend loads of time adding their wee bits of Washi tape, stickers, stamps to name but a few. But a funny thing occurred, it was actually inspiring. Not that I am going to buy stamps and Washi tape. But drawing I enjoy, writing I enjoy, so I decided to bite the bullet and get one.

View attachment 22216

View attachment 22217

It came as is, but I like the style of the Midori with the leather wrap. There is a chap in Cananda that sells the hobonichi leather wraps for a price and then the import tax would send it sky rocket, so I jumped on to ETSY and found a leather maker who made leather wraps.
View attachment 22219

I must admit I am not one for initials in handkerchiefs in any shape or form, but for this I thought I would give it a bash as it was free of charge.
View attachment 22218

Going back to the Midori, I purchased a repair kit for it, and then I had a thought. Why not style the Hobonichi similar to the Midori, so I did.
View attachment 22220

Only problem I have now, is I have to wait till 1st January 2017 to make a start on it. The Midori is fantastic and I still really like as it is part of my EDC. Albeit it is a bit bulky, but it will always have a place in the bag for swapping and changing things about. This Hobonichi has some of the finest paper I have written on to date, and I can't wait to get started on it.

Fantastic photos and write-up. You actually made me more excited to start using mine next year :)
Loving the Midichi look!
I've stayed away from reading any of the daily quotes in the Hobo as I want them to be yet another reason I open up the book on a daily basis... :)

Fantastic photos and write-up. You actually made me more excited to start using mine next year :)
Loving the Midichi look!
I've stayed away from reading any of the daily quotes in the Hobo as I want them to be yet another reason I open up the book on a daily basis... :)
Cheers, all it was, was the Midori repair kit V2 and I used that to create what I was already using.

Must admit looking forward to drawing on it and doing something different.

I have visions of me sitting in at cafe with my Midori-nichi, Rotablade Stubby, people watching, drinking coffee, smoking a cigar, and writing/drawing. Happy Days!

Next year we should revive the SOTD on paper thread :)

Love doodling in the Hobo:
21jrmzr.jpg

2aj7uyu.jpg

I have visions of me sitting in at cafe with my Midori-nichi, Rotablade Stubby, people watching, drinking coffee, smoking a cigar, and writing/drawing. Happy Days!

Sub the Stubby for a Cierrecart and the cigar for a muffin and you'll have exactly what I'll be doing tomorrow as it'll be a rainy Saturday and no place better to hang out than at my local coffee shop :)
I'll take a photo for you ;)

Yip, agreed.

It will give me the opportunity to get even more into the sketching.

I have a midori blank note book that I use as a scrap book for things like ticket stubs, cigar wrappers, anything really goes into it.

Yip, agreed.

It will give me the opportunity to get even more into the sketching.

I have a midori blank note book that I use as a scrap book for things like ticket stubs, cigar wrappers, anything really goes into it.

Doodling your SOTD in the hobo has the benefits that you know exactly what day the shave happened and forces you to practice sketching. That and it breaks up the SOTD photos a bit :)

Btw, if you ever need brand names I tried a slew of brush-pens before I found some that works really well in the Hobo (i.e. dries quick and doesn't bleed too much) for things like shading, etc. See example here of two gray colors - super easy to use as the nib is truly a 'brush';
dxixom.jpg

Sub the Stubby for a Cierrecart and the cigar for a muffin and you'll have exactly what I'll be doing tomorrow as it'll be a rainy Saturday and no place better to hang out than at my local coffee shop :)
I'll take a photo for you ;)

Ok @Darkbulb what I will do is, when my stubby arrives, I head into Glasgow West End with said items in hand, perhaps in the new year, and write down observations and drawings. Now this won't be on the Hobo, but the Midori as I will have more space. I will even take the pics to let you see the variety of life on one street Byres Road which I think would be up your street (Pun intended).

Ok @Darkbulb what I will do is, when my stubby arrives, I head into Glasgow West End with said items in hand, perhaps in the new year, and write down observations and drawings. Now this won't be on the Hobo, but the Midori as I will have more space. I will even take the pics to let you see the variety of life on one street Byres Road which I think would be up your street (Pun intended).

I think you just invented a new thread idea :D

SOTD - Street of the Day?

I have Derwent shading pens in black and gray so will give them a bash on the grid paper to see how they go

Back
Top Bottom