Mid Shave

A few suggestions required please, I bought a nice wee 4/8th razor from a current member, it was shave ready, I love the razor and am very happy with it, had my first shave with it tonight and found it catching and pulling half way through the shave, I had to finish with my shavette...no problem there.
When I looked at the razor it certainly was dulled so I stropped it and it came back to shave ready, I have no complaint at all about the razor as previously stated but wondered if this is common...like do others need to strop during a shave...is it my technique ?..I just used like my shavettes regarding angle etc...also found it does not like lather drying out a little..it prefers it wetter, personally I think it is my technique, although I have always thought my beard is tough. Tia.

Bo

Probably technique, i found this too when i started out with a straight, despite having plenty of shavette shaves under my belt. Keep at it, it will come with time and experience. Many suggest using an ever so slightly wetter lather as well, will help a little with the drying out, although as you get more experienced you'll also get faster which will help, also may help the razor glide a little better with less tugging.

I found that straight shaving is less tolerant of lesser quality soaps and creams, i started out with Proraso, it was awful, switched to palmolive stick and it was night and day, so bare that in mind as well.

I also have a tough beard, i never have to re strop mid shave.

If a Razor is Catching & Pulling as a Rough Guide it Probably Normal Beginner Problems with Bad Technique...You Can Blunt a Blade Quick with Bad Technique & Even Ruin an Edge Especially a Thinly Ground Blade...:rolleyes:

That is Assuming the Razor its PROPER Shave Ready & I Can Tell Ya a Lot Aint...So....It Can be a Combination of the Two...A 4/8th Razor is Not Ideal to Learn to Shave with...They Can be Very Unforgiving/Sensitive Shaving Angle Wise...:p

And NO...You Shouldnt have to Strop it Half Way through a Shave...Ensure its Shave Ready...I Can Check it for FREE....Will Even Return Post it for Ya...If it Needs Honing Work I Can Let Ya Know...I Can Also Do the Work if it Needs it.... :cool:

Billy

If a Razor is Catching & Pulling as a Rough Guide it Probably Normal Beginner Problems with Bad Technique...You Can Blunt a Blade Quick with Bad Technique & Even Ruin an Edge Especially a Thinly Ground Blade...:rolleyes:

That is Assuming the Razor its PROPER Shave Ready & I Can Tell Ya a Lot Aint...So....It Can be a Combination of the Two...A 4/8th Razor is Not Ideal to Learn to Shave with...They Can be Very Unforgiving/Sensitive Shaving Angle Wise...:p

And NO...You Shouldnt have to Strop it Half Way through a Shave...Ensure its Shave Ready...I Can Check it for FREE....Will Even Return Post it for Ya...If it Needs Honing Work I Can Let Ya Know...I Can Also Do the Work if it Needs it.... :cool:

Billy
I will bring it up too then billy...cheers.

Back
Top Bottom