Merkur Vision

Found the Merkur Vision last night. Never realised the Futur and Vision were different beasts,never really looked.
Anyway,found the TTL Vision on the tube and my interest has been piqued. Anyone have any experience with them?
Mind you I'm not altogether certain the money could not be spent wiser ( that's if the F.P.O.were to sanction it of course! ) on some vintage Gillette gear :hungrig

John

Hi John, I think there is not a lot of love for the Vision around most of the experienced guys. I haven't used one so cannot comment from personal experience but I have held one in my hand and preferred the Futur. To me the head of the thing is too big for awkward areas and i have read a few bad reports about the mechanism jamming and needing to be stripped and cleaned.

If you like it go for it but personally I think for the money it is overpriced and your money would be better spent on something else.

Thanks Audiolab, I must admit it's a lot of money and most modern razors ( ikon excepted ) do not have that indestructible feel that some of my older razors have. Mind you in 59 years when old Merkers and the like are being fawned over as as top notch stuff .............well who knows :?

Keep an eye out and you see the odd Vision going on ebay or the sale sections of the forums and usually they go a bit cheaper. I wouldn't take anyone's word as gospel, I am sure there are some out there who would argue the Vision is great and that you need to try it to really know for sure.

Well one thing is for sure, in 59 years no one will be after plastic Fusion handles....I think.

Don't pay mad ebay prices for a vintage razor, sometimes you do grab a bargain, just your luck. Usually on the various forums sale sections is where you will get a good shave quality vintage.

Yep, I have already been thier with vintage ebay prices :oops: but you live and learn.

I will keep me eyes peeled for a cheap Vision ....I'm of an age where I fel I could do with a huge new tool :lol: Were talking razors here .........I have a vision..............well I used to ,not to sure any more :lol:

cheers John

You missed some of my vintage adjustable's that were on sale recently for less than half the price of a vision.
I borrowed a vision for a few weeks and although I got the hang of it, I thought it was just freakishly large, I'd also opt for the smaller futur if you were going down that route.

Went back to my Fatboy/Feather this evening after a prolonged absence, that was just shear pleasure after dallying with some new combinations.

I'm just a vintage adjustable fan, don't think you can go wrong with any of them. They come up at a reasonable price from time to time.

I bought and sold a Vision here.

I bought it because I thought its *the* razor to try. Its a beast and looks cool. But I found no benefits over a traditional safety razor or a vintage adjustable. It never clicked for me.

I've got a fair few razors now and they all have their merits but the Vision represented too big an investment to be part of a rotation and wasn't good enough for me to ditch the rest. So its gone.

Its a good piece of kit - but for the cost I expected shaving nirvana.

Plus for the cost you can get a Fatboy, a Slim and a couple of SuperSpeeds, each of which are fantastic in their own ways.

If you can't wait there are a few here...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=h&ProdSort=2&page=1&idCategory=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk/shop/pc/v ... Category=7</a><!-- m -->

See, this is the great thing about a place like this. It's shopping by proxy. Other unfortunate people go and buy,road test then sell because there not quite .......erm....right ( the razor not the person you understand ).

I feel as if I have owned a Vision for weeks and have had many early and dark winter shaves, disliked it , sold it and am now searching for my next acquisition :D

I'm nothing if not fickle an shallow

I'll wait until I find a 50p boot bargain!

gents I salute you

John

Back
Top Bottom