Mergress Adjustable Razor

Hi
Just thought I would give you a review of my Mergress adjustable razor imported from Bullgoose shaving.
Always wanted a Merkur progress adjustable but did not like the plastic adjustment knob. I did find a supplier in the UK that retrofitted a brass replacement but on contact found they were in very short supply and restocking date was unknown. The only other option I could find was an import from the US (Bullgoose).

Dispatch was the same day of order and delivery took 5 days including the 3 days for royal mail to clear customs.
Very happy with the razor. The retrofit is a neat piece of precision engineering and actually the chrome plating looks significantly better than the razor. The razor shaves really well and for me first pass on number one progressing to finish on number 5 works perfectly.

One weird thing I found in case any one else out there had the same experience is the following:
On replacing the blade for the second time I turned the knob clockwise to tighten the removable head to the fully closed position and instead of the calibration knob coming to rest at number 1 it went straight past that setting round to number 3. I eventually figured out that the removable head and base plate have have numbers stamped on them. These need to be at opposite ends of each other when refitting. In this case the calibration knob comes to rest at setting 1 as it should do. Don't understand the mechanics of that but that's how it works.

Shame Merkur don't produce a more attractive design. Clearly there is a demand for the Mergress as I can see from the Bullgoose website there are a number of UK customers. Importing from Germany to the US retrofitting and exporting back to the UK makes for an expensive razor albeit a nicer looking product.
Bling_1024x1024.jpg

I have the plain XL version, but I rather like the look of the Bling model. Unless something has changed, the baseplate has an up-arrow on one end, and the top cap has a hard-to-see vertical line, and these need to be aligned, or you will get the dial readings wrong (mine goes to 3 1/2). I have tried painting in the top cap line, but it doesn't last long. The Mergress knob is actually made of polished stainless steel, rather than chromed, and it's a pity the whole razor isn't also made of that metal.

It took me some time and waiting, but a few years ago I bought the standard length Digress adaptation with a brass knob from The Gentleman's Groom Room in Scotland. They also had models with a stainless knob, but I so liked the extra long one on the Mergress that I got one of those from Bullgoose. That company is great to deal with and have a mouth-watering range of "goodies"; just a pity about the cost and palaver of getting them into the UK.

The plastic knob on the standard Progress has always had a certain appeal to me, but there is no doubt that both the Digress and Mergress versions of the razor are better balanced, better-looking and I find the adjustment rather more precise on them.

I'm pleased to hear that your new razor works well for you.

Welcome to TSR.
Shame Merkur don't produce a more attractive design.
The design dates back to the mid-50s so it is getting on for ~ 70 years. The ivory knob was made in bakelite which was a popular material at the time. It was used in car dashboards, gear lever knobs, etc.
I like the original knob and the razor is one of my favourite razors; works well with an Astra SP or GSB. The alignment marks of triangle and notch on cap does come up in discussion from time to time, it is not an issue if you read the instructions.

Back
Top Bottom