Mach 3 vs Fusion blades

Never tried one of those, but my guess is that Fusions would feel better for the average user? I mean, there must be some innovation between the generations; it can't be all marketing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Never tried one of those, but my guess is that Fusions would feel better for the average user? I mean, there must be some innovation between the generations; it can't be all marketing.

There was a period that I was telling that to myself too. I could not fool myself though no matter how hard I tried. lol

+1...:D

The proper 'metal' Mach 3 handle is as near as dammit perfect IMO.

Anecdotal evidence also suggests that I'm more likely to get ingrown hairs from using the Fusion.
What even with those magical lube strips and 'power' function ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Vastly prefer the Mach3 over the Fusion. I used a Fusion for nearly 8 years and hated every minute of it but the Mach3 gives me a very close and comfortable shave every second day with no irritation. Can't use it every day without tearing up my neck though.

Vastly prefer the Mach3 over the Fusion. I used a Fusion for nearly 8 years and hated every minute of it but the Mach3 gives me a very close and comfortable shave every second day with no irritation. Can't use it every day without tearing up my neck though.
I wonder why it is that.

There was a period that I was telling that to myself too. I could not fool myself though no matter how hard I tried. lol
Well, like I said, I have no experience
... but if the Fusion really would be worse than the Mach, why then would enough users upgrade to keep the Fusion profitable? I could imagine it's really better for 30%, 60% don't care, and 10% dislike them. And that 10% starts looking into other options ...

Just out of interest, why did you move to the Fusion then anyway, and stayed with it for so long? Marketing? Unavailability of the Mach cartridges?

Not using cartridges myself (except the Trac II), the Mach also looks like a torture device to me though [emoji14]

Just out of interest, why did you move to the Fusion then anyway, and stayed with it for so long? Marketing? Unavailability of the Mach cartridges?

Not using cartridges myself (except the Trac II), the Mach also looks like a torture device to me though [emoji14]

I learned to shave on a Gillette Contour and found it to be a very harsh shave. Used an electric for a few years and by the time I went back to wetshaving the Fusion had just been released so that's what I went with. Crap as it was, I just assumed that the older models would be even worse so I stuck with it.

My experience with Gillette carts is that as you go back chronologically, the design improves but the quality of the blades deteriorates. The Mach3 hits the right balance of design and blade quality - if you go forward, the engineering gets poorer (Fusion) and if you go back, the blade quality decreases* (Sensor, Contour)

I've never used a Trac II but I have one of the Indian models (PII) incoming from eBay so hopefully I'll give it a test run next week or the week after. I also have a Gillette Guard on the way.

*I have however used Gillette Vector blades from Singapore which are the Asian market version of the Contour and they are noticeably higher quality than the ones available here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! My only concern with the Contour was that the cartridge rotates, which means that it skips easily. The Trac II doesn't have that problem for me. That's why I have stayed with the Trac razor.

Thanks! My only concern with the Contour was that the cartridge rotates, which means that it skips easily. The Trac II doesn't have that problem for me. That's why I have stayed with the Trac razor.

The pivot on the Contour is absolutely terrible. It just clicks back and forth loosely as you shave so I find that the angle at the start of a stroke is all wrong before it manages to correct itself halfway through. The Mach3 pivot is spring loaded so it pivots much faster and more accurately.

the proglides kick the m3's ass so much it's unreal. If it wasnt so damn boring shaving with them they'd be my forever blades, hands down.
All this lark about de's etc vs cartridge is just bullpoop, its all about the prep :)

Back
Top Bottom