Lucky dip

Seen a severely rusted unnamed razor on ebay for a fiver, with all this sitting around I thought it would give me a wee project, and the blade might be a good one or a scrapper.
It arrived as per ebay photo, rusted from toe to heel, i started with a softish wire brush and moved on to some 350 wet n dry, within10 mins I could see a etching on the blade...but surrounded by pitting, none of the pitting is near the edge and mostly at the toe near the spine, the tang was stamped " Joseph Allen XLL Sheffield England, tho the sheffield and most of the england are well worn but still readable under a loupe. I took it to the bench buffer and took a fair bit of grime away, but still a lot to do, tomorrow I will remove the scales ( which are fine) and try to clean up the blade more...between a dremel, wet n dry and the buffer, Im not expecting it to be mirror finish, and some of the pitting is deep, to remove it all would erase the etchings, it was a fiver and will provide me some interest over the next two days. I have bought some rough old dogs before and enjoy getting a shave from then, but this is the first one where I had no idea of the make. Anyone else had a jump in on a lucky bag blade...or unlucky :)

Not honed it yet, still need a bit done, I will put it on the buffer tomorrow and go through coarse/ medium/fine compound and see how it looks, then likely hone and shave test tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom