Loake/Barker shoes

Hello all,

I'm looking for a nice pair of work shoes. I see the Loake and Barker make some lovely looking shoes.

As there quite expensive, I was wondering if any of the gents on here have them and what they think?

Also are there any other brands out there that are of equal quality?

I'd be wearing them alternate days so they will have a days rest.

Look forward to hearing what you all think.

Dipesh

Dipesh said:
Hello all,

I'm looking for a nice pair of work shoes. I see the Loake and Barker make some lovely looking shoes.

As there quite expensive, I was wondering if any of the gents on here have them and what they think?

Dipesh

I have two pairs of Loake shoes, and have had Barker in the past. Both produce good shoes. I am finding the Loakes very comfortable from day one.

I also have shoes from http://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/?ShopRef=73&affiliate=12,607&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=samuel+windsor&utm_content=Samuel_Windsor_Brand_Broad&utm_campaign=Brand

Very good value for money IMHO.

Hoggs are also worth a look, as are Grenson

Steve

I have a pair of Loake brogues with Dr Marten soles, great for the winter, I also have a lovely pair of Grenson brogues, I dont mind paying out on handmade shoes, they will last you a life time, my own personal favourite would be Crockett & Jones they have a lovely collection and excellent choice of models, also check out Barkers and Church's, you might want to check out Hogg's of Fife another fine shoe.

Regards Jamie

Try Jacksons Shoes in Mirfield West Yorkshire....they have an online shop as well as a "real shop" if you live somewhere near....they stock most of the above brands.......(Plus their own Jacksons Brand...Traditionally made Goodyear welted)....which incidently are excellent Quality for about £120 /£130......I'm wearing some right now....Light Tan Heavy Brogues with commando soles,they also do them with leather soles and also in Black...they're almost identical to (Sandersons I think they are ).....at three times the price...........I've had these on all day and they're very comfortable...and being traditionally made ,never get too hot.

loakes are really just part of the jones bootmaker group and as such are built to similar standards. They are OK if not fantastic. In that lineup, the barkers are by far the better made shoe and are one of new still producing a lot of their items in this country. However you're likely to pay a lot more for barkers than Loakes.

For higher end, look at Church's, Cheaney and Crockett & jones

look here:

http://herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?brandID=2&catID=51&shoeID=941&selectedSizeID=7&selectedFitID=1&seconds=1

they do a good stock of slight seconds and end of season barker products. They also stock loake and church's. They usualy have very good prices

I have three pairs of Loake. Black Chelsea Boot, Black Brogues and tan lace up's. All are brilliant shoes.

I don't wear them much but they fit very well and are really comfy. Find yourself a decent old fashioned cobbler and Loakes will last you years and years. Never underestimate the vaule of good old Shoe Trees when buying higher end shoes too.

My wife's Gran Parents and Uncle were in the shoe trade / Cobblers. They sold Church's and Loake. I had a pair of Church's again another very nice shoe.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/

this mob seems to have some decent stock. I haven't used them yet but free delivery is handy.

I ordered a pair of loake from Herring Shoes yesterday afternoon. I received a shipping notice almost instantly and took delivery about an hour ago. Excellent service, they also included a free shoe horn and tin of polish. Can't fault them at all. I will use them again.

If you are in the Loake/Barker market definitely take a look at Grenson. I find them to be superior in build, looks and fit. So many of the higher-end shoes don't suit wide feet, but Grensons are great in that respect.

My Dad has always rated Bally so maybe worth a look too.

NOTSHARP said:
Dipesh said:
Hello all,

Dipesh

I have two pairs of Loake shoes, and have had Barker in the past. Both produce good shoes. I am finding the Loakes very comfortable from day one.

I also have shoes from http://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/?ShopRef=73&affiliate=12,607&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=samuel+windsor&utm_content=Samuel_Windsor_Brand_Broad&utm_campaign=Brand

Very good value for money IMHO.

Hoggs are also worth a look, as are Grenson

Steve

I'd steer well clear of Samuel Windsor, terribly made, terrible materials used. They may seem cheap but they are not even worth half of what they charge for them and will not last 2 minutes.

There are loads of derogatory online reviews for them (Such as http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/internet-sites/clifford-james-co-uk/reviews/) but I still took the risk and ordered some Royal Brogue type ones from Amazon - Big mistake, worst purchase I have ever made, horrible grain leather which is thinner than toilet paper, awful workmanship, cheap horrible soles. Not even wearable. Dreadful!

Never had any problems with Loakes, they've always lasted me years.

Picked myself up a pair of Grenson footmaster from the bay. Paid £30 and got delivered yesterday, wore them last night and they are fantastic. Very comfy and you can tell they are quality. Seller had only worn them once to go to the paper shop. You could still clearly see the grenson logo on the leather sole. I thought bargains like this only got picked up by others. Very happy.

Back
Top Bottom