Lather Tutorial ~ Hard Soap

So you've been lathering with creams and now you want to try some soap or you've got a soap puck and you're having trouble with it.
The idea is to get you into a consistent routine so you can get great lather time after time.

As you can see the brush is a cheap boar from WS and the bowl is glass without any surface texture (not recommended). Fill your sink with hot water leaving the brush and bowl to soak and add a tsp of water to sit on top of the puck to soften it. (>2 mins or go shower)

dscf0885.jpg

In time you'll fiqure out what works best for your particular brush and soap but initially at least SQUEEZE hard and give two good SHAKES before soap loading. Then really load that brush, I spent a good 30 - 45 sec's doing this. If you're getting airy suds spilling from the puck at this point I would say your brush has too much water in it to begin with (more squeezing or shaking required). You can always add water later. If you are using a badger brush with softer hair bear in mind you may need to load for even longer but if in doubt overload your brush.

With a hard soap, especially triple milled you need to twirl and occasionally plunge the brush until you feel a paste forming on top of the puck, when you feel it "smearing" keep loading untill the hairs clump together with soap.

dscf0886z.jpg

I'm lathering in a bowl for the sake of the demo but I would recommend this method to start. You do get ultimate control.
Some like to pour the water sitting on top of the puck into the container, I didn't here but agitate for 30 sec's or so.

dscf0887l.jpg

I literally added a few drops of warm water by dipping my fingers and letting them drip in the bowl.
Agitated vigorously for 30 sec

dscf0888q.jpg

A few more drops and more agitation. Less visible air bubbles and you should be able to feel the lather become thicker.

dscf0889t.jpg

Okay almost there. Thick but not slick.(<2 mins)

dscf0890x.jpg

At this point you would transfer to your'e chops and work the lather more on face or in bowl.
For the demo I am going to lather on the hand for the final phase and I recommend you try this for yourself and you really get to feel the transformation from just thick to thick and slick. Work it for a while on the hand and you'll see.
As the lather "tightens" it becomes denser and and it visibly changes texture.
I would describe the lather as a cross between thick double cream and hand cream with a tacky texture, rub the lather between your finger tips to get a feel of the lather's "slipperiness", this is a good indication of the lubrication that a soap/lather can provide.

dscf0893c.jpg

I brushed the ceramic wall so you can see the composition of the lather.

dscf0897q.jpg

Thick and slick with minimum of visible air bubbles and in about 2 mins or so.

dscf0899.jpg

There are many factors that affect the quality of lather but soaps can be much fussier than creams, spending 20 minutes practicing your technique will certainly save you time in the long run. You will also find that as you become more accustomed with the characteristics of your brush and soap you will naturally be able to produce the lather you desire in much less time.

Hope this helps.

This tutorial is not set in concrete by any means.
Should I add, remove or improve any particular element?

Do you do anything else? Lets hear it.

antdad said:
This tutorial is not set in concrete by any means.
Should I add, remove or improve any particular element?

Do you do anything else? Lets hear it.

SirPrize hasn't commented himself, but I suspect he's been eating his mahogany table edge for a month... correctly it's a cake of soap not a puck this side of the briny (as it actually is the other side, but the populace don't seem to know that) :mrgreen:

maybe I should put in a word filter for Sirprize's benefit and to save the rest of his table :) Puck becomes cake.

Boab said:
maybe I should put in a word filter for Sirprize's benefit and to save the rest of his table :) Puck becomes cake.

Actually I did notice but after all Tony's hard work it seemed mean-spirited to correct his grammar.
After all we are not fascists here - people may use whatever forms of expression they chose - is this not why we had our revolution and seceded from elsewhere?
But I still think that as a UK based site we should stick to English usage.

SirPrize said:
But I still think that as a UK based site we should stick to English usage.

I do agree on that front Sir,sometimes it slips in without one realizing (sic) :mrgreen:

I always think of my soap as being mischievous or possessed by an evil spirit. How about using a nauseating hybrid of PUCK and CAKE instead?

antdad said:
I always think of my soap as being mischievous or possessed by an evil spirit. How about using a nauseating hybrid of PUCK and CAKE instead?

I can imagine that would not be a good sales pitch. FS Olde barber shop puke of Honeybee soap

I was told by my mum today that a "cake" is indeed a term used by her generation. When she said it I do have a vague recollection of my gran using this term but would never have used this off the top of my head. Bar or tub would have been my choices but thinking about it Puck has no real meaning in the UK.

It is growing on me...a cake of soap....does not seem as strange now I have said it a few times. From the Cambridge dictionary there are several options for cake including a reference to Cake (shape)

cake (SHAPE)
noun [C]
a small flat object made by pressing together a soft substance:
fish/potato cakes
a cake of soap

but puck from the same dictionary

puck
noun [C]
a small hard rubber disc which is used instead of a ball in ice hockey (= a game played on ice)

And there you have it. SirPrize I will correct my mental vocabulary to link the word cake with a shape as well as an edible item.

Some may disagree but the most important thing is that I am understood because the English language has always absorbed vocabulary from a huge number of sources be it French(diplomacy), Latin(religion), Greek(education) and American(fast food) to name but a few.
On top of all this, there is always a steady creation of new words and new uses for old words by the many subcultures of the English speaking world. I have no fear that this forum will be less English if the incorrect nomenclature is used actually I encourage it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/puck-mythology-/">http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/puck-mythology-/</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom