Laptop needs more graphix juice.

Besides the usual hardware upgrades (HD & RAM) can you upgrade a graphics card on a laptop or are they all built in?
I'd like to view BBC HD on it without the usual clean and jerk. I think I've tried everything, connection is good enough, tweaked the settings or can you suggest something?

Hi

Well its difficult to say, can you post your laptop specifications.

Some mainly expensive laptops allow for a graphics upgrade, but this is unlikly, you may find you can designate more RAM to the graphics card if it is shared. I dont count your chances to high.

The simple answer is usually "no" - either it's not possible (because the graphics chipset is part of the motherboard) or not £practical (because the replacement cards when they are separate - which is rare - are £silly)

More RAM might help - but I doubt it's going to do anything really noticeable for HD video because what you're after is more acceleration in the HW or SW... ordinarily a different codec or player might enable you to squeeze just enough extra out of the gfx subsystem to be able to watch the HD (as you can on this netbook PC I'm using now - Cyberlink PowerDVD and MediaPlayer HomeCinema Classic do the full acceleration - BBC HD doesn't allow those to be used as players so can't)

Have you tried downloading the content and then playing it?

My old laptop struggles with streaming video but does far better playing something that has been downloaded and played on a separate media player, not via the browser. I've not tried it with the BBC player but I think I'll give it shot tonight.

Back
Top Bottom