KWB Knives Straight Razor

Hi all,

New to the forum, and purchased this in April.

It's made by KWB Knives in Kent for Barbarossa Brothers who sell it as their ‘Hayreddin Straight Razor', listed as Damascus.

Korben's latest examples now cost considerably more, with the most similar model on his website coming in at £785.

The debate surrounding ‘Damascus' seems to repeat itself endlessly, and I'm obviously no expert, so happy to avoid that.

All in all, a beautiful piece that feels expensive and quite special to use.

It has a very slight smile and I actually find it much easier to navigate around the more difficult contours of my chin than my TI.

The TI definitely gives a better shave, however it came ‘shave ready' from Executive Shaving, and this did not, and as it stands at present I only have a 3000/8000 stone and the mild white tube of paste that comes with the executive shaving strop, which I bought to use separately for paste.

That being said, the 3/8k + pasted strop + non-pasted strop allows for a nice shave with 3 passes including ATG.

I appreciate that ‘Shave ready' from executive shaving may not mean shave ready to some of the members here; I've read enough posts by now to know that some sellers do not hone as well as others.

However, regardless of how the more experienced members view this standard of razor to shave, I think we can all agree that it will be better than a newbie can achieve on my own with the above set up, hence the comparison.

I'm expecting, and am happy to receive some negative feedback on this, and as I said, I'm very new to this, however there are very few mentions of KWB and no reviews as yet, and as I like the razor, I'm happy to post a positive review in case anyone else has considered them.

I'm waiting for a 12k stone, a few packs of lapping paper, some balsa blocks and a selection of pastes to arrive and can review again once I have refined the edge with a 12k and a strop etc

Attachments

• A40E158F-CF79-49B7-A7D6-D1F65DFC4A43.jpeg
    A40E158F-CF79-49B7-A7D6-D1F65DFC4A43.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi welcome to the forum, i've never heard of those razors, but then i prefer vintage. It's a lovely looking piece of craftsmanship, not my cup of tea, i'm more of a traditionalist, but if it floats your boat and shaves well that's all that matters.

what's the razor like, seveneighth? What would you go for instead?
It's very rustic. Takes a good enough edge.

My favourites in the UK are Ed Brice razors. https://www.edwardbricerazors.com/straight-razors.html
They take and keep the best edges of any razor I own. Seriously dangerous, but simply amazing to shave with.

If you are looking for fancy steel, try Bruno, Snailforge razors:

His pattern damascus is beautiful, and he is the only maker making razors in wootz damascus as far as I know.

They are very nice. The steel eats the hairs on your face like nothing else and keeps the edge.

If you want beautiful hollow-ground razors try Bluesman Blades:

Victor is the nicest guy, and very humble. Really knows his steel.

I have a KWB razor. It's OK. Not my first choice if I was buying a custom again in the future.
Completely agree. Got a custom Damascus from KWB and the build quality was quite poor. I have a couple of other Damascus blades and non of them hold their edge. Ed Brice has been my go to for the last couple of years and his blades are beautiful and I would recommend him to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom