It's raining razors.

Mentioned to a pal that I had taken an interest in wet shaving again. Saw him today. A new red Merkur turned up in the post. And three oldies turned up with my old friend.
I like the look of the little Gillette on the left. Made in the US - so simple! Will try it out soon.
As to the others, the Rolls looks in good nick but will stay in a drawer. I'm not tempted by straights. Will just keep this out of interest. Does "The New Century Razor" by Cox and Son, Southampton mean anything to any one?

Attachments

• DSC_1389.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 195
Hi Fido

Lovely collection there, dont be scared of the Rolls they are a great razor, if you manage to make it down im happy to stick the blade in barbicide to disinfect it.

The gillette is a new, if it deserves It I have the bakelite case and bakelite blade cases if you plan to display it:

Mr Razor photo:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.j-duwe.de/Rasierer/The%20NEW/1930s%20British%20NEW.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.j-duwe.de/Rasierer/The%20NEW ... %20NEW.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Sorry Millay ... but its not a NEW, but a lovely Single Ring from the very beginning of the century. They look and feel great (I have not shaved with mine yet). It's the second DE razor that Gillette ever made - the first was a double ring.

A fine collection there Fido.

WIlling to part with the straight? I've just taken up restoring old straights as yet another hobby. Working on my first now. It had a very good blade with some staining, but no major use marks, and still almost the full blade width. The scales were plastic or celluloid and cracked, and the pivot pin was repaired, badly. The original pin was exchanged for a roughly peened piece of red copper wire. I've cleaned and shined the blade, with the exception of the front side, since this has an etching including gold wash. I'm now in the process of making new scales from olivewood....

Henk

chicken neck said:
Sorry Millay ... but its not a NEW, but a lovely Single Ring from the very beginning of the century. They look and feel great (I have not shaved with mine yet). It's the second DE razor that Gillette ever made - the first was a double ring.

You are completely correct, i must have been half asleep looking at it.

henkverhaar said:
WIlling to part with the straight? I've just taken up restoring old straights as yet another hobby. Working on my first now. It had a very good blade with some staining, but no major use marks, and still almost the full blade width. The scales were plastic or celluloid and cracked, and the pivot pin was repaired, badly. The original pin was exchanged for a roughly peened piece of red copper wire. I've cleaned and shined the blade, with the exception of the front side, since this has an etching including gold wash. I'm now in the process of making new scales from olivewood....

Henk

I'll hang on to the straight. Just popped it with the Rolls on a shelf among all my other odds and ends in here. A little talking point with the odd visitor. A few other odd things in the photo!

Attachments

• DSC_1398.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 146
chicken neck said:

Thanks for that. Will update my records. I could not believe what a delight it was to use. Strange feeling to think it had not been used for over 50 years! It has been in a loft all that time.

henkverhaar said:
WIlling to part with the straight? I've just taken up restoring old straights as yet another hobby. Working on my first now.

Henk

Henk , I've got a "Sir Issac Newton " straight that i was gonna try working up but havent got round to( and probably wont) if you're still wanting one. Get in touch if you want

Andy

Andy said:
Henk , I've got a "Sir Issac Newton " straight that i was gonna try working up but havent got round to( and probably wont) if you're still wanting one. Get in touch if you want

Andy

Andy, thanks for the offer. I'm currently working on my first one. Let's wait and see how that works out. If I'm satisfied with it, I may take you up on your offer.

Cheers

Henk

Back
Top Bottom