It's a shame it isn't a DE...

I'm in the process of moving houses & with that comes all the unpacking, packing etc. One of the boxes I'd not seen for years piqued my interest so I opened it up & found something I'd forgotten I even had. Stretching my memory to it's limits I recalled the purchase & how I came about owning this. I remember at the time thinking I have to have this, no matter the cost! It must've been bought somewhere between 1984 & 1986. I know that for sure because I started using a DE in 1987. It was a special edition brought out by Wilkinson & you could only buy it by applying to an offer Wilkinson had placed in all the major newspapers(at least I think that's what it was). It's known as the Wilkinson Royale
20161123_123126.jpg
20161123_123208.jpg 20161123_123126.jpg EEbi412.jpg & designed by leading British designer, Kenneth Grange.
He also designed other razors which are all now iconic designs. I think this razor is a superb piece of design & engineering, just stunning! If I had a cartridge now, I'd give it a ride...:D

I'm in the process of moving houses & with that comes all the unpacking, packing etc. One of the boxes I'd not seen for years piqued my interest so I opened it up & found something I'd forgotten I even had. Stretching my memory to it's limits I recalled the purchase & how I came about owning this. I remember at the time thinking I have to have this, no matter the cost! It must've been bought somewhere between 1984 & 1986. I know that for sure because I started using a DE in 1987. It was a special edition brought out by Wilkinson & you could only buy it by applying to an offer Wilkinson had placed in all the major newspapers(at least I think that's what it was). It's known as the Wilkinson Royale
View attachment 22169
View attachment 22168 View attachment 22169 View attachment 22170 & designed by leading British designer, Kenneth Grange.
He also designed other razors which are all now iconic designs. I think this razor is a superb piece of design & engineering, just stunning! If I had a cartridge now, I'd give it a ride...:D
Fantastic bit of design, anything with a conection with Grange is worth hanging on to, nice one. :)

View attachment 22169
View attachment 22168 View attachment 22169 View attachment 22170 & designed by leading British designer, Kenneth Grange.
Is it g2 compatible? I can send one on for you if it is. I've a bunch of g2 compatible wilkinson doubles.

View attachment 22169

LOVE the Royale. One of the best carts there is :)
2ljgrb5.jpg

96gbrd.jpg

There was also a slightly different version with a bit less metal on it;
(16 bands of plastic on the handle = Royale)
2hf5cba.jpg

Comparison between the two models:
dw8jfq.jpg

If you don't have it already pick up the book about Grange (here's my little write-up) 200 amazing pages and often sell fr under $10 :)

LOVE the Royale. One of the best carts there is :)
2ljgrb5.jpg

96gbrd.jpg

There was also a slightly different version with a bit less metal on it;
(16 bands of plastic on the handle = Royale)
2hf5cba.jpg

Comparison between the two models:
dw8jfq.jpg

If you don't have it already pick up the book about Grange (here's my little write-up) 200 amazing pages and often sell fr under $10 :)
Wow. What an incredible post! Thanks so much for taking the time to educate us. I didn't realize until now just how prolific he was. Amazing. I don't think there's one bad design there.

View attachment 22169
i think it's so good :D

123movies

This video below from Kensurfs sums it up pretty well I think. Starts with pre-shave oil at 0:48 and by 2:36 the shave is done with no need for another pass. To men back in the 70s the idea that you could shave without thinking about angle/pressure and multiple passes and be out the door in under two minutes must have been a revelation. My father learned on a straight and ditched it literally the second that the early carts hit the shelves. He's been using the Gilette Contour with Palmolive cream since the early 70s and is completely baffled that people want to go back to DEs and straights.

I think it's really horse for courses; I'm so pleased that the Shaving Room has 'room' for cartridges. At the sake of incurring the wrath of DE and SE shavers; I love the pre-shave, shaving cream, shaving brushes; but for me a good cartridge means I don't worry about nicking myself and I am fortunate not to suffer too badly from shaving burn.

The biggest thing is shaving over uncovered skin; which is a no-no for DE and should be for cartridges as well.

Its strange but the preparation for a shave is a big part of it.... As mentioned in my first post, I have been using cartridge razors. For the last couple of years, a Sainsbury's own branded one with their own heads. I took a Cornerstone subscription out recently. They sent me their razor + four cartridge heads. I put their video up on you-tube, the recommended video's on the side bar are pretty well all DE single blade shaves. I had been using a Wilkinson Sword synthetic brush and getting a lather from a bar of soap, not shaving products from a can etc.. I had already discovered that a shave after a shower is superior. My last shave from a cartridge was using the Cornerstone razor BUT I did it in three passes, having watched the executive shaving video by Brian, it was a good shave :) I have cancelled the Cornerstone but still have the razor & blades, I do like my Muhle R89, dunno quite what to do with the cornerstone? :oops:

Back
Top Bottom