Is a straight that much sharper?

I don't know if this has been covered already, but is a straight razor that much sharper than a DE blade? I'm asking this in the hope that someone with experience in straight shaving and DE shaving can answer. I've read that some have found the straight razor more comfortable against the skin if they have a tough beard and sensative skin. As I'm veering towards 100% Feather usage [and the very best I get out of a Feather is 3] it got me thinking; would a straight be more suitable for my needs ie. I need sharp. It's not a macho thing or a look what I shave with thing, it's about trying to find the best method of shaving that is the most comfortable. So can any of you gents enlighten me on this one. thanks Adam

I suppose one advantage with a cut-throat is that you can have the same sharpness every shave. The equivalent would be changing your DE blade after each use. Doesn't answer your question exactly, but it may certainly be an aspect of straight razor shaving that would appeal to you.

Now I'll bow out gracefully and let an actual straight user post a reply! ;)

No no that's still relevant. As I find the third shave from a Feather begins to tug and scrape a bit, unlike the smooth 1st and still smoothish 2nd. thanks PC

This link might prove instructive:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63992</a><!-- m -->

Yes, I know its on that forum - dont crucify me, Colin and Audio!

Sharpness is a slippery concept, so I don't think I'd describe it in those terms. Revisiting the straight razor recently has been a pleasant, surprisingly undramatic experience with good results, though I'm still chasing round with a DE afterwards to clean up the jawline in particular. The edge does feel particularly smooth on account of the stropping, and I think this is the real advantage - I certainly wouldn't want to use an open razor straight off the stone, no matter how fine... clearly DE blades don't undergo stropping unless you do it yourself which I feel sure would be an unfailingly dangerous thing to do. If it's comfort you're after ZigZag, I'd definitely give it a go.

That's interesting Neil, as most said it was with patience and time they see a return; in less irritation and a smoother, closer shave. It's something I'll be contemplating over a little more as the consistancy of a good shave is what I am looking for. Ian, look forward to hearing your comments regarding the straight shave. Yes definitely Arrowhead, comfort is what I look for in a shave so it's worth a closer gander. Adam

As a straight shaver I sharpen my rotation to my own liking. This means to a point where I get a smooth, comfortable, irritation free shave. So with that in mind the answer to the question in my case is no.
I can get my razors sharper but run the risk of being too sharp (yes there is such a thing)

I use a coticule to hone with and get a consistent edge.

This is all part of why some people use straights, you tend to be in control of ther process and can adjust the edge to suit

I occasionally have a DE shave but although it is close, it tends not to be as comfortable and to be honest not "fun". Putting a blade in a razor and shaving is fine but there is not the same challengs

Others may disagree but as you know shaving is very much a personal thing

that's an interesting point about sharpening to your own liking, as that brings it down to a very personal choice, very bespoked. I also like the idea of being in control of the process, as time & patience kicks in, you know what you're going to get and you're going to be pleased with it.

I've been straight shaving on and off for just over a year now. I've not yet honed anything, aside from a few strokes on a Chinese 12k.

The thing that interests me is not so much the level of sharpness but, as pedalpowersailing mentioned, it's the thought that I can eventually create and maintain and edge which fits my shaving needs. A combination of stones, pastes and stropping surfaces gives one a lot to play with.

For a tough beard I imagine a heavy wedge razor which isn't too sharp may be as useful as feather which is ultra sharp. Joel's post here may be of interest, although referring to the difference between a feather shavette and a straight. In short if you have a hefty straight which is as sharp as a feather you may have something far more unforgiving in your hands than anticipated

Its very subjective, i think your just gonna have to take the plunge and have a go! In my case i think it is as sharp as a modern DE blade but the straight seems way smoother than a DE. It needs maintaining so your gonna need some stones, strop etc.
I've been wet shaving for a couple of years now and for the last 8 months or so i have been straight shaving so i'm still trying to master the straight. It takes much more effort and disipline initially but once you get going, it is just so bitching, i can't wait to put a straight blade to my face each day.

I think the only way to find out is to take the plunge. At the end of the day I'm not after BBS, never have been as the Ol' 5 o'clock shadow always creeps in a little to early and not only that it can get a bit sensitive. For me it's a comfortable experience I'm after and if I think about it, after what has been already said, a good consistancy in sharpness not sharp beyond usable.

My recent (and not so recent) attempts at shaving with a straight have proved to me that a propery honed, shave ready straight razor is not as sharp as a good DE blade. Either that, or the 2 razors that I have had are just not suiting me.

Ian

DE blades are sharper, but that does not mean that a straight is not plenty sharp enough for the task of smoothly removing whiskers.

Ian, I wish you were closer. I would be more than happy to hone your razors with no charge. I've done this for some others that questioned their razors edge.

Hawkeye5 said:
DE blades are sharper, but that does not mean that a straight is not plenty sharp enough for the task of smoothly removing whiskers.

Ian, I wish you were closer. I would be more than happy to hone your razors with no charge. I've done this for some others that questioned their razors edge.

Thanks Hawkeye, but I have no reason to doubt the ability of my supplier with regards honing.

He has asked that I return the razor so that he can inspect it, and has offered to send be a razor with a different grind to see if that will help.

Ian

Okay so you're saying it's not sharpness that makes a straight shave, would it be consistancy? Then I'm wondering Feathers are good for me but give me a Derby and my skin shudders at the thought. So where on a scale of sharpness does a straight razor sit, or is there no average, like mentioned earlier it's about making it a bespoked shave?

Back
Top Bottom