Is a Leaf razor just 'too' good?

I've posted a couple of SOTD posts in the last few days with a newly acquired ‘Leaf' razor that uses standard DE blades in a configuration of 1, 2 or 3 half blades in an ingenious layering system. I've now shaved with it three times and it has been sublime. I absolutely love it …but… could it be too good?:unsure:

Yes, it offers incredible customisation and shaves absolutely brilliantly. For cartridge die hards and new wet shavers I think it's the definite way to go …but… what about the wet shave enthusiast?

Mmmm…there's the rub. The Leaf uses standard DE blades and requires loading them like you would in any DE razor; and you use the same soaps and creams, and pre- and post-shave processes …but… it's over very quickly. :oops:

I found myself absolutely loving the shave but missing something of the ‘ritual'. I really like re-lathering between two or three passes so I can get the most out of that excellent brush! But with the Leaf, I seem to need only a single pass and maybe a touch up here and there. I don't seem to get the same feeling of relaxation that a good half an hour shaving ritual provides. I use my brush once and the razor once...and then it's over:cry:

The Leaf is a superb razor and I intend to use it often, but it will not stop me using my other razors because maybe they offer that little something extra that the leaf doesn't …the relaxation that comes with time, care, and attention to detail.

Perhaps it's what those Ninjas among us who use straight razors have long known: there's a particular satisfaction that comes from learning the art of shaving that's probably most challenging with a straight edge. Maybe the Leaf is to the DE safety razor what the DE is to the cutthroat. So maybe I'm missing the challenge?

Now that's made me think I really should go 'straight' again;)

I decided to post this purely as a discussion point. I'd be interested to hear views. Can a razor be too good or too easy to use?

I've posted a couple of SOTD posts in the last few days with a newly acquired ‘Leaf' razor that uses standard DE blades in a configuration of 1, 2 or 3 half blades in an ingenious layering system. I've now shaved with it three times and it has been sublime. I absolutely love it …but… could it be too good?:unsure:

Yes, it offers incredible customisation and shaves absolutely brilliantly. For cartridge die hards and new wet shavers I think it's the definite way to go …but… what about the wet shave enthusiast?

Mmmm…there's the rub. The Leaf uses standard DE blades and requires loading them like you would in any DE razor; and you use the same soaps and creams, and pre- and post-shave processes …but… it's over very quickly. :oops:

I found myself absolutely loving the shave but missing something of the ‘ritual'. I really like re-lathering between two or three passes so I can get the most out of that excellent brush! But with the Leaf, I seem to need only a single pass and maybe a touch up here and there. I don't seem to get the same feeling of relaxation that a good half an hour shaving ritual provides. I use my brush once and the razor once...and then it's over:cry:

The Leaf is a superb razor and I intend to use it often, but it will not stop me using my other razors because maybe they offer that little something extra that the leaf doesn't …the relaxation that comes with time, care, and attention to detail.

Perhaps it's what those Ninjas among us who use straight razors have long known: there's a particular satisfaction that comes from learning the art of shaving that's probably most challenging with a straight edge. Maybe the Leaf is to the DE safety razor what the DE is to the cutthroat. So maybe I'm missing the challenge?

I decided to post this purely as a discussion point. I'd be interested to hear views. Can a razor be too good or too easy to use?

A man complaining about it being over too quickly....I thought this was a shaving forum :LOL:

On a more serious note, thats the exact reason I started wet shaving. For the whole process and to enjoy it as I go along. My 2 year old daughter has never ending energy levels so any chance I get to switch off and have a shave...I want it to last!

Yes I'm in full agreement with you, I've said it before, " it almost too easy to shave with" but it comes into it's own when you are in a rush or half asleep or even hung over because if you tried to shave with your standard set up under those circumstances you would get a poor shave at the very least or you may decide to forgo the shave altogether, so you bring out the leaf and in no time at all you have the perfect shave. It is also very good for head shaving by all accounts so if there is ever a time when you want to shave your dome you will have the perfect tool for the job. Just put it into general rotation and take your time with it, I still did the same amount of passes to get my baby smooth finish that I have come to expect from a shave now.
To add a little excitement to your leaf shave do it in the dark or with you eyes closed, I'm sure it could be done, now that's a skill worth having! :) P.

A man complaining about it being over too quickly....I thought this was a shaving forum :LOL:

On a more serious note, thats the exact reason I started wet shaving. For the whole process and to enjoy it as I go along. My 2 year old daughter has never ending energy levels so any chance I get to switch off and have a shave...I want it to last!
It's a bit weird isn't it, trying to explain to someone why wet-shaving is so good, when their entire argument seems to be that it takes too long!
I love the concept of 'slow living' and wet-shaving is definitely part of that. It reminds me of the old joke about one guy watching another fishing. He watches him for several hours until the fisherman asks him: "why don't you take up fishing yourself?"...and the guy watching says: "I thought about it but I just don't have the patience"!:unsure:

It took me longer to get the perfect shave with just the bottom and middle blade, leave the top blade out, it will take longer and you will only need one whole blade and not one and a half! :) P.
I use just the top and middle...i don't put one in the bottom. As I understand it a blade in the bottom is most aggressive! Wow...that didn't come out like I intended

You could aways sell it if it dosent do it for you, we won't think any the less about you! :) it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. P.
No, you can't have it! It's definitely the best razor I've ever used, in terms of the quality of the shave and its design and style. No question. Its only downside is that it is perhaps too good. I think I'll keep it, so go and buy your own. I can see what you're doing...you want me to BST it so you can lay your hands on a sublime piece of iconic shaving gear at a reduced price...well I'm not such a fool that I don't know a good investment when I see one...case in point: my Sinclair C5 is likely to be worth more than I paid for it soon...very, very soon, you mark my words! Then who'll be laughing? Mwaaahhhaaaaaa!:oops::rolleyes: :cry: :unsure::eek:

No, you can't have it! It's definitely the best razor I've ever used, in terms of the quality of the shave and its design and style. No question. Its only downside is that it is perhaps too good. I think I'll keep it, so go and buy your own. I can see what you're doing...you want me to BST it so you can lay your hands on a sublime piece of iconic shaving gear at a reduced price...well I'm not such a fool that I don't know a good investment when I see one...case in point: my Sinclair C5 is likely to be worth more than I paid for it soon...very, very soon, you mark my words! Then who'll be laughing? Mwaaahhhaaaaaa!:oops::rolleyes: :cry: :unsure::eek:
Ok, you saw through me! Bummer! :) P.

I think you'd got the last one from Agent Shave.

It sounds like a razor to use when you're pushed for time, or don't want to mess your face up for an important day.
It's definitely one to own I reckon...there's something about the design I think is going to become iconic. It reminds me a little of when Canon released their first Ixus digital camera...it'd got that 'techno' look plus the superb functionality. Despite my glowing review, it does have a few areas where there's a definite learning curve...using it under the nose and around the mouth is not quite as precise as my EJDE89...but that's a quibble.
On the speed thing...yes you may be right...definitely a good way to go for the fast one and a bit pass.
I ordered as soon as I noticed that Agent Shave had them in...don't know how many they had butI must have been really lucky then!

Back
Top Bottom