Interesting yet affordable Watches?

I would like to start a post with affordable but also interesting looking watches, I often in my travels into the WWW seek out a little wrist candy, just can't help it always been a sucker for the sports watch, anyway here's one I just stumbled upon and thought you may like to run the rule over it, it's not cheap but it's not mind blowing Swiss money either.

Jamie.

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-zodiac-zmx03-pitch-black-chronograph-watch-zo8507-p99931183.html

That's nice, I've been collecting Stauer watches for a while now.

They're not partularly pricey, but are good time-keepers and have a certain something I think.

[attachment=3671]

[attachment=3672]

[attachment=3673]

Attachments

• stauer 001.JPG
    stauer 001.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 62
  • stauer 005.JPG
    stauer 005.JPG
    496.5 KB · Views: 55
  • stauer 007.JPG
    stauer 007.JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 51
Who, besides a pilot (and no doubt HM) has ever needed a watch with a Tachymeter on it?

The amount of abuse I put watches through means I daren't wear anything more expensive than a G-Shock.

The thought of bashing a £500 watch (let alone a couple of grand's worth of Swiss watch) gives me the collywobbles.

Talking of G-Shocks, there's plenty in that range to keep watch forums going for many years.

Now I know you prefer new over old Jamie but even I have a soft spot for the odd vintage chrono, far nicer than that bland hunk o junk.

Have a look at this sellers wares.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-SEIKO-MINT-6138-8039-RETRO-CHRONO-VINTAGE-SERVICED-/300613701680?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item45fdf91030

Well Tony I do like quite a few vintage watches, always fancied myself wearing the classic Oris Big Crown, that seller as some nice looking watches I like the Seiko divers. PS nice collection you have there Martin, Come on Vinny there's not many of us men who dont suffer from the 007 syndrome, we all want a Tachymeter and a laser + missile launcher on our watches. :)

Jamie

I have a bit of a thing for Vostok watches. There are some very tacky designs around but the Komandirskie watches are a thing of beauty and fairly cheap unless you get into the ЗАКАЗ МО СССР military issue originals.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well Tony I do like quite a few vintage watches, always fancied myself wearing the classic Oris Big Crown, that seller as some nice looking watches I like the Seiko divers. PS nice collection you have there Martin, Come on Vinny there's not many of us men who dont suffer from the 007 syndrome, we all want a Tachymeter and a laser + missile launcher on our watches. :)

Jamie

I have a Oris Big Crown, Very nice watch I have had mine for 11-12 years now. It's in great condition still but I do look after it. Not one I wear on a daily basis, it's too good for that.

Re: RE: Interesting yet affordable Watches?

pugh-the-special-one said:
Come on Vinny there's not many of us men who dont suffer from the 007 syndrome, we all want a Tachymeter and a laser + missile launcher on our watches. :)

That's the very reason I dislike most of the "nice" men's watches - too gadgety and fiddly! being a minimalist of sorts I could not resist one of these:

http://www.botta-design.de/en_uno.html

(I have the large-face black with bracelet.)

That is the hour hand. There are twelve ticks per hour, so five-minute segments, which means you can tell the time to within a minute or two. My view is if you need more precision than that on a wristwatch you should look for the point your life began to go wrong ;).

(So on the two pictured, it's about 1:46 or 7, say.)

I've had many a cheap thrill buckling on my solar charged retro G Shock ever since I found out that it makes me look as hard as Vinny (not Joe) ! But, it is remarkable how many of us have a fascination with intricate mechanisms. Watching a TV programme some years ago on Mr. Daniels & his self designed & mainly self made watches was truly absorbing. Even for a mechanical klutz such as me.

JohnnyO. \:dodgy:

Dr Rick said:
That's the very reason I dislike most of the "nice" men's watches - too gadgety and fiddly! being a minimalist of sorts I could not resist one of these:

http://www.botta-design.de/en_uno.html

(I have the large-face black with bracelet.)

They're lovely. Moving away from absolute minimalism (and indeed affordability), that reminds me somewhat of this range from Junghans.

Back
Top Bottom