In Praise of Shave Sticks...

I've had several palmolive and erasmic shave sticks with tallow in for ages , bought cheap as I came across them but only the other day after unloading a load of packed away shave gear did it click that i hadnt tried them :shock: ! disgraceful I know !

I opened up the erasmic as I have always liked the cream considering its cheapish. Firstly its was fun to try a new thing and most englightening was the fact it really lathered brilliantly.
Dont know about other gents here but my lathering benchmark has always been the one you see in run-down barbers in Westerns where it seems to get slapped on in a way that lets the beard show through and highlights the dust ridden black toothed face of the scruffy bu***r that usually gets bothered by clint eastwood to scoot out of town while a worried barber tightens his grip on his towel ....
.... I digress , and nope the bathroom didnt turn into a hick dust bowl town nor did I end up wearing breeches - but what a damn fine lathering it was.

Its gonna take ages to finish one so im tempted to have a few on the go and see how they fair
Tabac sticks are on the cards since I use the soap each time in the main but any other reccomendations from you guys already using them

Yeehawwwh !

We had a poll a while ago

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107">viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107</a><!-- l -->

I like all the shave sticks on that list but the humble Palmolive stick takes some beating.

Tabac , Irisch Moos and DR Harris are my favorite shave sticks.I keep a Harris lavender in my Dopp Kit for travelling .
Remembering my father shaving when I was a kid ,all he ever used was a shaving stick and a well worn bristle brush .
That was a long long time ago.

Roger.

For me, any Tallow based one but especially Tabac.

Whack it on, brush it up and you're good to go.

Oodles of rich creamy lather.

The stick are a very convienent form, really good for holidays and when in a hurry. I could not use them exclusively but don't think I could do without them either. Moos is my favourite.

Someone mentioned sticks? Right then here we go.

La Toja - the best
Arko - next best

The rest are all superb, Tabac, Irisch Moos, Valobra, Speik, Palmolive, D R Harris - even Taylor's sticks beat the pucks.

There's something just right about putting the soap directly onto the face and then face lathering.

Never been a fan but currently have the boots stick in my rotation and its ok, so bought a palmolive and a erasmic stick as well to try and remembered i have a arko stick to try.

i'd say Boots is better than ok

you'll be fine with Palmolive, the Erasmic will disappoint if it's the new version (non-tallow) and Arko's great if you have no nose :shock:

Echo that on the Palmolive - a little gem.

La Toja is a non tallow stick but it performs very well too.

I am keen to try Irisch Moos, is it readily available in blighty?

Funny - I tried Erasmic (Tallow version) after all the praise, and I got really mediocre lather with it. I binned it.

If the new formulation is worse, then I'm not even going there. :eek:

The Palmolive stick beats it 500 times over.

Back
Top Bottom