I'm in the mood for Sandalwood

Fellows, I'm in the mood for Sandalwood ...

Aftershave, not balm. I'm not much for newfangled things and have a pretty short shortlist being DR Harris and TOBS. T&H only do a balm. Trumpers just a Cologne (which I might well get to complement).

TOBS tout theirs as patchouli and vetiver with a powdery musk and rose. To be, that sounds divine. DR Harris has the patchouli, but also eucalyptus and camphor, and some light florals, altogether sounding more like a treatment than a straight-up aftershave. TOBS also does an alcohol-free, which is certainly interesting, but probably not for me. I like to feel dry with aftershave and don't want to feel residually oily or mushy.

So, DR Harris or TOBS? What's your experience, chaps?

Or, is there something else out there? I see Proraso, but I've always found Proraso to be a bit sticky and clammy afterwards and read that their Sandalwood has Shea Oil in it. Face palm. There might well be other good choices out there. Thoughts?

I have the TOBS Sandalwood cologne. It's a very nice scent. Assuming the aftershave smells the same, I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. It smells richer than the shaving cream but that unmistakable TOBS Sandalwood note is definitely there. I bought it for myself but I was surprised to find out my wife likes it when wearing it.

Super! Thank you for that ...

I am erring on the side of TOBS. I sense the DRH is more an oily treatment. If it was on the Pashana side that would be fine, but if it's on the hair tonic oily side it won't be for me.

Okay, it's the Colognes but on Fragrantica the TOBS is listed as being more on the powdery side, the DR Harris on the woody side. I'd prefer powdery for an aftershave. TOBS reads more like a classic scent - carnation and geranium as fixatives, mild florals all sitting on a big wedge of sandalwood and then various other woods, roots and balsams. Trumpers is that, but adds rose so that could well be the frag to compliment.

TOBS sandalwood splash is a very nice sweet powdery type of Sandalwood. It smells very gentlemanly. I've not tried DR Harris sandalwood. Trumpers sandalwood cream has more of a darker kind of sandalwood scent in a kind of light smoky/earthy scent that I really like. Sadly they don't do a matching splash. The Trumpers sandalwood cologne smells nothing like the cream but it is a really nice cologne that lasts on my skin, easily 8+ hours.
Fine Santal absolut is similar to Proraso red to my nose but I prefer it. Slightly sweeter and for a splash it lasts for around 3-4 hours on me.

I use Trumpers' Sandalwood skin food, which smells divine. I decided to try their Cologne and Cream. The Cologne smells nothing like the skin food (sadly), and their shave cream smelt like a dirty ashtray. I never purchases the cologne but I did have a tube of the cream. Couldn't wait to finish it. I can't remember the smell of the Cologne to give any advice though. Just thought I'd post my pointless encounter with Trumpers Sandalwood.

Back
Top Bottom