Ikon B1

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
Anyone ever used or have knowledge of the above ?
I’m quite intrigued by one of their base plates
the DLC OSS which is closed comb on one side & open comb on the other side.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers

I have one.
To me, it's more like the OSS is a clone of the Feather AS-D2, rather than a Gillette Tech head, but not quite (disregarding the open comb side the main difference seems to be the in top cap ). Both are Tech-like designs and as such shave similarly to a Tech.
I find both sides to be equally mild, although the OC side copes better with longer growth.
Having said that, I prefer a Gillette round bottom Tech to this shave-wise, because it feels even milder, but seems to be more efficient for me. Or maybe it's just easier for me to keep the angle with the Gillette.
The B1 coating wears off somewhat, especially on the thread, but as the razor is stainless steel, it doesn't really matter much.

OP
Mike Smart

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
I have one.
To me, it's more like the OSS is a clone of the Feather AS-D2, rather than a Gillette Tech head, but not quite (disregarding the open comb side the main difference seems to be the in top cap ). Both are Tech-like designs and as such shave similarly to a Tech.
I find both sides to be equally mild, although the OC side copes better with longer growth.
Having said that, I prefer a Gillette round bottom Tech to this shave-wise, because it feels even milder, but seems to be more efficient for me. Or maybe it's just easier for me to keep the angle with the Gillette.
The B1 coating wears off somewhat, especially on the thread, but as the razor is stainless steel, it doesn't really matter much.
Thanks for your reply
i actually have the AS-D2 so perhaps the ikon isn’t for me.
I’m really looking for something a bit more aggressive to the feather, but have to admit i did like the look of the ikon.
oh well looks like my search continues

Satanfriendly

Supporter
Supporter
I certainly wouldn't proclaim to be an expert on Ikons but I am a big fan having had quite a few of them. Especially the B1 closed which I rate as one of the best DE's out there. Oddly even though I have gone manly SE now I still hold on to an older chromed B1 because I would be lost without it in the armoury.

I am not familiar with the DLC and never tried any of the dual heads. I will say this though if the closed side is anything like the B1 closed it will take quite an aggressive stance and the open comb a lot less so. The closed just needs a bit of taming but once there it will reward with the best DE shave you could possibly wish for. The B1 open is far milder and very easy to come terms with.

Personally I'd highly recommend the B1 closed on its own if you want aggressive. Few out there get more so.

They are well made, well thought out and overall a well executed razor which delivers. In passing I have never had any of the proprietary coating wear off to date.

For a bit further reading I scribbled this together some time back.

OP
Mike Smart

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
I certainly wouldn't proclaim to be an expert on Ikons but I am a big fan having had quite a few of them. Especially the B1 closed which I rate as one of the best DE's out there. Oddly even though I have gone manly SE now I still hold on to an older chromed B1 because I would be lost without it in the armoury.

I am not familiar with the DLC and never tried any of the dual heads. I will say this though if the closed side is anything like the B1 closed it will take quite an aggressive stance and the open comb a lot less so. The closed just needs a bit of taming but once there it will reward with the best DE shave you could possibly wish for. The B1 open is far milder and very easy to come terms with.

Personally I'd highly recommend the B1 closed on its own if you want aggressive. Few out there get more so.

They are well made, well thought out and overall a well executed razor which delivers. In passing I have never had any of the proprietary coating wear off to date.

For a bit further reading I scribbled this together some time back.

Brilliant Read i enjoyed that & great report.
you’ve now brought me right back in to the game.
I was torn between this and the rockwell 6s with both being around the same price give or take.
I genuinely believe the Ikon with the open & closed base plate to have the advantage.
it would be good for me to have an aggressive razor then flip it over if i feel it’s getting to much to a milder shave. like most things in life i’m still a bit confused. later on in the week i’ll be heading up to dundee and will be taking a trip in to the gentleman’s groom room,
it might end up the case of who has what in stock as to what i get. i’m guessing either would be a good buy

Top Bottom