I Pod

Hi Guys

I have a 2nd gen I Pod Nano 4GB. I have had it for a couple of years. All of a sudden the capacity has filled (reached 4.7GB) but I only have 645 songs; I thought I was supposed to get about 1000 songs. The songs are are normal length (no prog rock 25 minute long songs by Yes!!!). Any ideas if I have a problem or is 600 songs the most I can get on a 2nd gen 4GB?

Cheers Rousey

Rousey it might depend on how you're encoding them; itunes has settings you can change for that. (Better quality = bigger files = fewer songs; and vice versa.)

HTH

Ollie

Like dis:

Choosing import settings
You can choose the encoding format and other settings that iTunes uses to import songs. Your choices affect the audio quality and size of the song file (the higher the quality, the larger the file size).

AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) encoding is available only if you have QuickTime 6.2 or later installed. (iTunes supports MPEG-4 AAC files, not older versions of AAC.)

To choose import options:

Choose iTunes > Preferences, click General, and click Import Settings.

Choose an encoder from the Import Using pop-up menu.

You can listen to songs encoded in AAC or Apple Lossless formats in iTunes and on iPod models that come with a dock connector. If you plan to listen to your music using a different program or MP3 player, choose MP3 Encoder.

If you want to burn high-quality audio CDs with the songs you’re importing, without losing quality, choose Apple Lossless or AIFF. (Keep in mind that songs imported using this format use much more disc space.)

If you’ll be playing your songs on a computer that does not have MP3 software, choose WAV.

Choose a bit rate from the Setting pop-up menu (not available with Apple Lossless Encoder). In most cases, the default selection works well.

If you chose MP3 Encoder:

Higher Quality: Choose if you plan to create your own audio CDs or listen to your music with high-quality stereo speakers.

High Quality: Choose if you play music in a noisy environment. This setting creates files that are about 1 MB in size per minute of music.

Good Quality: Use to fit more songs on a portable MP3 player with limited storage capacity.

Custom: Choose for greater control over the file size and sound quality.

Despite being relatively young (31). Technology seems to have passed me by. I still inhabit the world of tapes and CDs, not that I've got many. I recently had a new telly after my very excellent very heavy Toshiba was accidentaly destroyed by my niece. Thankfully no one was squashed. The new slim toshiba that has replaced it has not such a good picture, not so good sound, and it takes about ten seconds to react to any commands from the remote control.
Is new technology any better? I prefer manual and analogue, and clockwork, and steam.

Hi Rousey, connect ipod to your computer, open i-tunes and on the left list look for Devices, double click on the name of your ipod. The page should now open with 2 tabs at the top, settings and contents. Make sure you save all the songs you wish to keep onto the computer then open settings tab. You now have two options, check for system update, and system restore. performing these tasks will erase anything stored on the ipod, but this has cured similar problems on mine and may help.
regards Daz.

Thanks ollie for the info.

It seems your average song is taking up approx 6 mega bytes. That sounds about right to me?

I have an old ipod mini, and it stores about that much too.

Back
Top Bottom