How long is a blade usable?

So i found myself in Disneyland Paris for 3 days recently, upon arrival i realised I had brought everything except spare blades. In my razor i had a Derby blade used once ( not my usual, that's Astra). Given that i was tied up from dawn until dusk i had little choice but to use this blade for the duration. Usually i always toss a blade after 2 days as i have moderately heavy growth assuming that its done however to my surprise I managed 4 days close shave (4 passes) without irritation or noticeable degradation of shave quality. So this got me thinking, how long does a blade usually last? Does the mildness/aggressiveness or brand affect this? I appreciate this might be subjective but I'm thinking if anyone has tested this its likely here.

It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question. To start, there are big differences between brands regarding sharpness or otherwise. Then, with a particular brand of blade, there can be differences between production runs. Add to that the razor a blade is used in, the preparation and soaps or creams used, the shaver's own techniques (which may vary from razor to razor) and then, on top, the nature of the whiskers, whether the individual is clean shaven or has a moustache or other hair which reduces the shaving area, and no doubt some other factors I haven't mentioned.

Years ago, most if not all DE razor blades in the UK were UK-made, and although some weren't too special, the quality and durability was better than today. I seem to recall that some blades were sold on the number of shaves you could get out of them. In the early 70's, I used to load a new blade on Monday, and shave with it through to Friday, and possibly Saturday, omit Sunday and start anew on Monday. This was also a matter of economy, as pro rata to my then-salary, blades were a lot more expensive than now.

Nowadays I shave daily, and ditch a blade after three uses, although I think I could get perhaps 4 comfortable 2-pass shaves from a quality blade.

If you want real staying power in blades, in my experience the SE AC, Gem and injector style blades will beat anything DE hands down.

It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question. To start, there are big differences between brands regarding sharpness or otherwise. Then, with a particular brand of blade, there can be differences between production runs. Add to that the razor a blade is used in, the preparation and soaps or creams used, the shaver's own techniques (which may vary from razor to razor) and then, on top, the nature of the whiskers, whether the individual is clean shaven or has a moustache or other hair which reduces the shaving area, and no doubt some other factors I haven't mentioned.

Agree about blade life being a how long is a piece of string perspective.

I throw away a blade when it either becomes rough or when it's efficiency goes and that can be between a few shaves or 20 odd to the very highest. I find some blades are at their best for the first shave (like a Carbon Steel Treet Durasharp) or something like a Polsilver SI/Permasharp/Nacet I find take a few shaves to 'settle in' and after that they seem to go on for a fair old while.

I'm the same I change once a week out of habit. New blade for Monday shave. Although if I forget. I tend to just leave it in till the next Monday. I only notice the blades are not as good at removing stubble on the last 2-3 days.

Same for me, generally change at the weekend out of habit as it gives me time to give my razor a scrub if I choose. I guess some blades could go a little longer, some less, but it's short enough to allow me to experiment too.

I just change every week, and have heavy tough growth.
If you get to the point of the blade tugging, then it hasn't been great for a few shaves prior to that.
We are not talking cartridge prices here, where it makes sense to stretch the usage to gain value, decent DE blades are 15p or less if you buy in packs of 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After 4 shaves, it damages my skin. However, if I only shaved my cheeks, I'd get 10 , I guess. I think it depends if your skin is tough.

No science at all in my case - I rotate around 6 razors and I have no idea how many shaves any of the blades have. If I don't like the shave I take the blade out afterwards and bin it. Blades are cheap and I like them sharp. I'm guessing I get around 5-6 shaves out of a blade.

Back
Top Bottom