How long does it take you to shave?

Hi

I posted recently on the theme of wanting to shave quickly, looking for opinions on blade choice etc. Reason for wanting to shave quickly is to look presentable at work without using up too much time in the morning.

I've recently got in to a good rhythm of daily DE shaves, around DFS standard, with good levels of comfort and not many cuts at all.

My shaves before work are a bit more rushed I guess, but I'm happily still getting good results. I think I've found a razor I really like using which is helping (Merkur 25c).

Anyway, it got me thinking, how long does everyone's DE shave take? From walking in to the bathroom to walking out again.

I timed myself last night, and it took just over 13 mins, two passes. The blade was already in the razor, I didn't use any pre-shave oil (I often do), the soap I use seems to lather up quickly.

How does everyone else get on? I know it's not a race, and there are different routines - some may shower first etc, some may have huge bathrooms to walk around in etc!

Just after an idea really. I sense that 13 mins is pretty fast if the youtube shaving videos I've watched are anything to go by. Then again, I don't talk in to the mirror!

Not a race! Don't cut yourselves! ;-)

Last edited:
I've got the travel version of the Merkur open-comb. A mild razor is perfect for a frantic, get-out-the-door shave and this is one of the mildest. I think Badger & Blade rated it as 2 on a scale of 1-10 (with R41 at 10). A sharp blade like a Nacet suits it well.

With a slick soap, you could just rub some over your face and smoosh it up quickly with your fingers to get a wet cream rather than a lather. That would save time with the brush.

Better still, if I take my time to do a full BBS shave the evening before, I'll be good through the next day. Not everyone will get away with that though.

I've tried to cut down the time I take but it always seems to take between 25 to 30 mins.

I always do a daily 3 pass shave, not always pre-shave but finish with AS and sometimes ASB. I listen to the radio or podcasts, take my time and thoroughly enjoy it.

I've never understood why people in these forums spend so much money and time choosing/discussing the latest and greatest razors, soaps etc. then when it actually comes to shaving act like the house is on fire.

For me shaving is a hobby that I enjoy doing as well as browsing about.

:eek: 5 minutes for a piss!?
Screenshot_20210115-212609_Chrome.jpg
Like a Gallowa' Hos'.
Draining like a Gallowa' WIKI
I give myself 1 hour everyday for my pamper - I can do that these days, long gone are 12-16 hrs days with an electric rotary in my desk drawer for meeting tidy ups.
Its my time and I do enjoy it.

Last edited:
Consequence of having a bladder removed and new made from part the bowel. Takes some effort, occasionally medical equipment is required.

Crikey that sounds dramatic, hope you're in an ok place regarding it now NJ.

I can't recall exactly, but if I was going a 2/3 pass shave it'd taken 15-20 minutes depending on how much growth I would have, what brush I would be using, what soap and so on. In the last few days I've been doing one pass shaves and it's taken 5 minutes max.

Wow - I feel like an utter twat now. My apologies.

What a medical marvel for such a thing to be even possible!

No need to feel like a twat. I'm still here to to be able to write such things.

Crikey that sounds dramatic, hope you're in an ok place regarding it now NJ.
All is good thanks. However, Just as I was due to go back to work (gigging) lockdown started. I'm yet to see how I get on in the real world as it were. Done two gigs, but no extensive touring yet, which will be the test. It was only done last year 15th Jan 2020.

Back
Top Bottom